Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

I think I blew a water pump. . . ? Help!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Default I think I blew a water pump. . . ? Help!

93 Sable 3.8L V6. My friend had an idler pulley go out, torn all to heck. We got her a new pulley and new belt because the belt was warped like I've never seen before. I put the pulley on and installed the new belt no problem. However, when I started up the car, it smoked like it was on fire and the belt snapped! When the smoke cleared it looked like the water pump pulley hadn't been turning at all because the belt had basically melted onto that pulley. I'm assuming that's where all the smoke came from. How did I go from having a blown idler pulley to a water pump pulley that apparently doesn't turn? Or could the water pump/pulley have been broken all along? The initial belt was not broken when I got there, just warped to heck along with the idler pulley. And stupid question - shouldn't the water pump pulley be free to move when the belt is off? Because it doesn't. . . I think in writing that question I may have just found my real problem, but I still want to make sure from the experts! Thanks in advance.