Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Hello good people, i'm new on the forum, but i have a serious prob my sable won't start!!!! to be more specific, it started to cut out on the overrun from about2500 rpm to about 1500 rpm where the engine would cut back in again. this was coming back from georgia, today jumped in started first turn of the key went down the town, did what i needed to came back to the car NOTHING !!! boy was i fed up, car turns over, brand new battery, new fuel filter, fuel pump is working fine, sparks from the plugs appear a bit weak (white)......so i'm apealling to the experts out there, give me a clue as to whats going on.....i'm lost...........keith

Old 08-14-2007, 04:27 PM

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] problem solved, only owned it for two weeks but the previous owner obviously didn't believe in maintenance, as the spark plug gaps could nearly be measured in inches, and not fractions there of, the rotor arm looked like a mouse had been gnawing on the contact, as had the dizzy cap, once all the relevant parts for creating sparks had been replaced, lo and behold it runs again!!!!...next is to replace all the vacuum pipes as they have all gone brittle and mushy.......oh joy!!!!! a low cost fix!!!!!!!....keith

Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Welcome.

See, it's sometimes the little things, which have a huge cause.

Might want the wires checked to. If they don't deliver the full amount of voltage or not having the right resistance, other issues could develop, which very often are not associated with something minor like that.

Also, I personally switched to Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs. They have double electrodes, and there is no gap to adjust nor worry about.

Now don't you feel much better about investing additional money in your car, now that it is running fine? Beats buying another one, from which again you don't know what the previous history is.

Greetings!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

still got that cutting out problem on the over run, i think its a bad vacuum pipe, already found two that were defunct, oh and i did change the wires just forgot to mention it, nice to hear bosch plugs are available for the sable, big fan of them after owning volkswagens where they are standard............cheers........keith

Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 AM

sounds like the cam or even the crank sensor. let us know.