Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Mercurys, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Started bodywork on girlfriends car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM

on the 88-91, they're not adhesive strips like on the 87s. they aren't through hole clips either. they're plastic clips that snap onto little pegs that jut out from the door itself.

on page 52 of the pdf (page 196) at car-pak... here you can find part 90-6785 half way down on the left. That's the clip I need to fix my car. the moulding is the same on 88-91, I'm not real sure about the clips themselves though. the clip you see in the pdf, has a center hole for sliding the peg into that is on the door. than the bottom of the moulding fits over the tab there at the bottom and then it is snapped over the top. however, removing it that way has proved to break the tabs at the bottom before it will come off the top. I'm thinking the plastic is just too brittle from age which is why I'm contemplating using T-bolts like the part to the right #67-3084. if it'll fit top to bottom inside that metal area of the moulding, I can drill out the door to make that work.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

are you talking about the white plastic tabs like what hold the black rocker strip in place??? if so, i have a few from removing the black strips from the car being painted. easiest way to remove the black strip is a 3/8 deep well and taking nut off the clip in front of back tire... after that the black strap snaps off. once black strip is off the metal studs are visible to slide the plastic snaps off.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM

the only bolt on mine is the set screw on the edge of the door that keeps the whole thing from sliding. the ends are molded plastic into the rubber and holding the center metal/chrome piece in place. there are no nuts anywhere to speak of.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

i plan on ripping off the moldings off on my personal cars since they do nothing but collect sand, salt and dirt causing RUST. i am gonna remove chrome and do a lower section different color and wrpped in the invisible shielding stuff to keep rock chips from happening.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:03 AM

i am yet in the process of cleaning up the body on my merc but i still debating on either keeping the side moldings or ripping them off and make it look like the red crown vic.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM

if I was more about doing the body work to smooth out the doors, I might do that... but I pretty much bought it to drive it until it's dead (which will hopefully be a few more years and then some).

Old 05-30-2009, 10:56 AM

i bought mine knowing that i will always have it going to keep this car forever im still driving on the original motor going to see how long that takes for it to die and i don't have a soft foot. It's been taking a beating but still pulls through every day and you have to respect that i don't know about you but i'm attached to my car (yes i no i sound crazy) but to be honest its the only this that hasn't let's me down yet

Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm always attached to my car... but it's like a pet to me. once it dies (repairs are more expensive than a newer car), then I "bury" it and move on. I may grieve a while on the loss, but yeah... and you don't sound crazy. you sound like every motorhead I've ever known.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM

to me the car isn't a pet more like ummm . . . . seeing the sun every day or the moon at night it just has to be there if the engine need a rebuild ill get a rebuild or what ever but i love that car more then some of my friends. No one touches it, no one leans on it, when im at a restaurant i make sure i can see it and it some one is opening there door next to it i get up and make sure they don't hit it. That happened once and got up and ran to stop them getting out made a little nick in the door but you see im nuts lol

Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM

heh... one guy in my apartment complex parks his truck between two spaces (one is a quarter full of mail boxes for the complex) and puts out an orange cone in front of the half open (sometimes 3/4 open) space so people won't ding his truck.

Let me ask you this... do you detail your car every day in the garage with high dollar wax that makes it almost impervious to most daily activities? If so, then yeah, you're nuts. if not, you're a super car buff that has his prize possession, nut you're not real nuts... a little? maybe... but not real nuts. ;-)

Quick Reply: Started bodywork on girlfriends car...