Tires What skins are you rollin' around on...? Discuss wrapping your rims in here...

'93 Grand Marquis - Goodyear Fuel Max

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by slymer
just for your info, acetone has a lower octane than gasoline. it will decrease mileage... UNLESS it's cleaned out some gunk. a bottle of fuel system cleaner will work just as good and get the job done in one or two tanks instead of 10. The danger of using acetone is that it will (not if) eat through rubber lines. The problem is how long it will take.
I trust your word, Slymer, but I will continue to add acetone to my gas. It's not the octane rating that encourages me to add acetone, but it's ability to break gasoline's surface tension. When the gas is sprayed into the cylinder, the droplets break up into smaller drops than gasoline alone. The more tiny droplets, the more surface area of gasoline and the better combustion of fuel.

There have been many people who have tried to find how caustic acetone is to rubber fuel lines. The results widely vary, but I gather that two ounces per ten gallons won't do too much to the tubes. If it's going to be sitting around for a few months, I'll be sure to run only gasoline through the lines first. Stabil, too of course.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:19 AM

i am having fuel max tires on my nissan gtr but no fuel saving in this beast