Tracer Discuss the Mercury Tracer here...

A/C - compressor problem in my ’97

Old 09-15-2007, 05:03 AM

I have been replacing almost every original part in my Tracer this year it seems. When the A/C began failing about two years ago I had a new compressor with clutch put on that was purchased from Auto Zone.

Ever since then, anytime I use the A/C it significantly drains the power on the car and the engine runs rough. I know that the Tracer is definitely not a performance car at 4 cyl, but this had not been a problem in the past.

I've come to believe that this generic compressor isn't efficient enough for the car model and or may be too powerful and is zapping all the car's acceleration abilities, which have been good before.

Does anyone know ifa Mercury dealership can sell me a factory compressor for this older style? I have seen many compressors online but I don't know if they are genuine Mercury parts or just "suggestions".

Thanks!Edited by: christyh