Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

Air compressor sticking..

Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Hello to the forum..new member here..

This note from a guy who admits to not being mechanical..i do not plan to fix this myself right now..but you gotta here this and please advise...driving back to jax last night from easter vacation with the 3 amigos,wife and bikes on the back..a/c began to not cool properly at first and thought nothing of it..(note to self to system checked for coolant before long hot summer)...miles later traveling at 75mph..significant power loss..dashboard lights go out..i drop into neutral and pull over to shoulder..some degree of smoking and horrible sound from under hood...but car never shuts off..headlights and tails all working so i slow poke to next exit to examine under lights....

seems likes the air compressor wheel is sticking...not spinning freely..and given that nothing is open for repairs easter sunday night..we press on to town another 90 miles with no dash lights..no speedo..and no other troubles but a loud noise when stopped...

jump to this morning..no loud noise..dash lights still off...

could the compressor going out knock out dash lights..and how do i get em back..

thanks

Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Sounds like your a/c compressure locked up, this would explain the loss of the a/c, noise, smoke, and power loss, but not the dash lights. (note: coolant has nothing to do with the a/c but its very good to check before long drives). I suspect that the no loud noise is due to the a/c switch not being ON. My guess on the dash lights is that a blown fuse, not sure if it has anything to do with the a/c going out, or a bad headlight switch. Please let us know what it all was

Old 03-28-2005, 06:07 PM

wow check the fuse box under the hood .....

Old 03-28-2005, 07:35 PM

These guys are good...it turned out to be just what you said...compressor locked up...i guess i ended up throwing that belt over the course of the drive...my shop estimates replacing compressor new at around $1000. And a blown fuse was the cause for the dash lights...odd to me that that would go at the same time...

great to have a second opinion online..i plan to participate in the forum in the future ..keep up the good work...thanks everyone..

JD