Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

just bought a 97 today

Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 PM

i just found this site and it looks like it will be helpful if i run into any problems with the van, but after the nightmare windstar we had im hoping for the best

Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Congrates !!

I really like this site. Happen to see your listing and just to reassure. You made a good decision. Under my rack post, have very basic on our experience with our 98 for over 3 years. Head gasket went out of our 91 Caravan, and my wife's car (well, my car she drove) a 96 Camry Coupe. Sold the Camry to get the Van (the ole $$ thing).

Brother-in-law swares by Nissans, ran 2 into the ground both 300K w/ NO major work, and on his 3rd and 4th (a pickup, and a 98 Villager that had been wrecked/rebuilt, yet a VERY nice van). ++, he paid alot LESS than what I had to. So it's paid to wait, w/ 97-98's now poping up alot more.

These are so easy to work on, general maint. Personal, the 96-98's are your BEST bet., having the least problems. The 6 year run on body style makes them easy on parts, even salvage. Just get the timing belt before 100K, so they say, then at every 80K after. The OEM Qlty. issue.

I noticed my valves starting to float some as it hit say 65K. I've always used Valvoline oil, and tried the newer MAXlife !! WOW, they are smooth, absolute silence up front. Would highly recommend, or even the Synth. version of same. (thinking hard about to convert!!)

Our only problem, the DREADED door lock issue with these like everyone. HEY FORD &amp; NISSAN, how about a RECALL !! Second, is the side windows. Not to expand on my childhood [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img], but these are TOO easy to break into !! So keep things covered, or tint windows !! The nice thing, when your camping and"someone" locks the keys in, and your undercarriage spare is "above" amajor mud hole. A thin stick will do the trick !!!

Our ONLY true repair to date, the rear heater started making a clank like a vent/door became detached. Early on, I let Merc. dealer repair. OUCH.[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] But thats it!! Rear wiper a problem w/ many. May/ maynot work. Ours still ok butOne time. A simple tap around fuse box, then OK! The Early years were BAD with electrical issues, yet again, your 97 should generally be a better crop.

Enjoy, and keep us posted.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

welcome to the forum!!!