Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

Rusted Break Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Default Rusted Break Lines

98 Villager,
Spent the weekend tearing down the front sway bar, Rt. lower arm, and Frame mount for
arm (gusset, I think the manual said), just to even get to a rusted break line section on
the 2 smaller lines from brake cyl. that runs under frame mount after firewall bend.
Bolts alone took some time. So far, I've got a new Dremel, Longer 1/2" drive that's about
longer than my arm, and new 22mm+ socket's that (FINALLY) got the job done. $700 Midas quote.
Chose Budget minded option, and yet to invest in an impact wrench / + sockets / compress.

Found someone w/ same issue on other site (just ranting), yet I've had on jack stands for a month +
waiting for time to tear down just to get to trouble spot.

Well, it's exposed and ready for new lines, yet this MUST obviously be a trouble spot for rust
to collect, so just currious if anyone had same experience for vehicle (or like), and any suggestions
on tap / cut points for new line(s) and best flare kit / options to cut new lines in.
Looks like from Tank back should go smooth, yet I'M more concerned with going up the
firewall into the Mstr. Cyl., with Rack-n-Pin in the way, + just looks TiGHT, + seperating the
orig. retainers that tie lines together.....

Looks best to just run all new, yet these are grouped w/ 3 other lines w/ retainers that are
so rusted /brittle. Have all retainers off from trouble spot to just in-front of gas tank, yet need
to get that large plastic cover off in front of tank. Dought Mercury still carries the retainers
(given veh. age), so any options to keep this as "factory" looking as possible w/o some
restoration effort.

Appreciate any ?'s....

Last edited by hvymtlfan; 10-24-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Typo's