Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

Can someone help me.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Default Can someone help me.....

Hello everyone...My name is Jose and I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar V6 standard and a couple of days ago I went to start my car to head to work and it turned on for a few minutes then it shut off...every since it hasnt fully started.

I hooked it up to my friend computer and it gives me code P1237 and next to it, it tell me "Control air and fuel mixture". Can someone help me and tell me what is wrong with my car and how can i go about fixing it....I would greatly appreciate because right now I am hardly working and I cant afford taking it to a machanic.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 PM

The car starts ok when cold because it is in open loop which is a fixed setting for running the engine until the oxygen sensors warm up. After a couple of minutes it goes into close loop where the computer controls the fuel air mixture. Obviously it is unable to do so, & tests will need to be made on possible sensors, or you may just have a bad computer itself.

Sensors include, MAF, O2, engine temperature, RPM, MAP, TPS.

I do find your problem unusual in that usually when there is a problem, the computer stays in open loop & turns the check engine light on.

If I had no way to test anything & was low on money, I would go to the wreaking yard & look for a used computer & replace it & see if that works. Its a gamble, but I suspect it may be the problem, being the car won't stay in open loop when it senses a problem, or in this case does not seem to sense it. You didn't say anything about check engine light, so I'm assuming it is not coming on. To check to see if the bulb is not burned out, it should come on anytime the key is on & the engine is off.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Oh Yeah !

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM

i had the same problem with mine it ended up being the mass air flow meter with my xr7. it is a little frustrating but. see it you can start it with out the mass if it starts and has a rough idel it is the maf