Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

cougar runs really rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 AM

97 cougar seems like it is missing, runs horrible, idle is ok.
The intake manifold was recently replaced
spark plugs just got changed
fuel filter has been changed
the gas that dripped out of the line was a little cloudy?

what should I do next?

help....[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM

Well, fuel is suppose to be clear. Was the car sitting for a while? Sounds like you have somehow accumulated some kind of debris in your fuel tank.

You replaced a lot of parts. Ever had the spark plug wires checked? Mine (other model) was idling fine, but running rough. Appeared to be the "shuttering" issue with the transmission. I had it checked, and sure enough, 2 spark plug wires didn't deliver full power. Replaced them and the problem never came back.

Don't know if any of the auto parts places check them for you. My dealer charged $35 for the complete ignition part check, not bad considering that I can assume the results are really what was wrong with it.

Greetings!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 92Mercury

Well, fuel is suppose to be clear. Was the car sitting for a while? Sounds like you have somehow accumulated some kind of debris in your fuel tank.

You replaced a lot of parts. Ever had the spark plug wires checked? Mine (other model) was idling fine, but running rough. Appeared to be the "shuttering" issue with the transmission. I had it checked, and sure enough, 2 spark plug wires didn't deliver full power. Replaced them and the problem never came back.

Don't know if any of the auto parts places check them for you. My dealer charged $35 for the complete ignition part check, not bad considering that I can assume the results are really what was wrong with it.

Greetings!

Thank you!

I just changed the plug wires and no luck. One of the oldplug wires did come apart from cylinder #1

This is gonna sound bad but when theintake manifold was replaced the old gasket was used over( Ireally should have replaced it but it looked good and the car is my sisters and she is very tight on money right now)and there was a slight coolant leak at first but stopped after I tighted down the bolts more. The leak was right at cylinder #1

Should I replace that gasket maybe, gosh that's a lot of work

I will definatally drain the old gas from the car, it sat for 2 months.

Thanks again I really appreciate any and all suggestions.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 AM

Sorry to hear that it wasn't the plug wires. Well, at least this can be marked done.

2 months should not have any affect on how the car is running. I had them sitting for more than 1 year, and the fuel was still good.

I don't know if the gasket would change anything. Have you tried to listen to the area around the intake while someone else is reving it up? If there is a leak, you should hear a noise.