Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Really Could Use Help w/1998 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Default Really Could Use Help w/1998 Fuel Pump

Long story short here folks.
Car overheated due to the plastic intake.
Car has been sitting with 1/3 tank of fuel for 3 years.
Battery cables were rotted...

This past week I....
Put the upgraded intake on for the 4.6L engine.
Put new battery clamps on the cables
Put in new battery
Changed oil and oil filter
Put in new fuel filter

Went to turn engine over and no fuel is getting to the rail. I know this because I don't hear the in tank fuel pump come on when I have my wife turn the key ON and my ear against the open fuel tank filler tube. I pour a scant bit of fuel in the throttle intake and she fires right up and runs for the few seconds so I know we have spark.

I get power everywhere including the switch in the trunk. I decided to try to check at the fuel pump but the wires can only be disconnected from INSIDE the tank, or basically you pull the pump out far enough so you can unplug it....*(or so I thought)....

I figured I might as well drain the tank anyway so I remove the filler tube, disconnect the fuel and vent lines. I'm ready to drop the tank now with the two nuts holding the straps in place.

Problem: How the hell do I disconnect the fuel pump? I can't pull it all the way out. Even if I drop the tank, I will have a fuel pump dangling from the harness. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much~!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 PM

Follow the wiring harness from the sending unit to the plug connector(s). Some older cars plugged into the sending unit itself, but I'm sure yours is in the wiring harness.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:43 PM

The bigger harness that goes to the fuel pump goes up and into a place that human hands can't go. I've included a pic. PART of that harness goes up into another hole in the trunk that is very near the rear window in the upper cargo area. I can SORT OF see what might be a plug way up behind that black metal that runs the width of th car but there is no way human hands are getting in there. I'd say they routed the wiring wrong and then put that black metal piece in and then installed the shock springs. Yes, that would all have to come out to get to the connector. That being said, I pray to God that the pump is not bad. It if IS bad then I have no alternative but to splice the wires in. There's no damn way I'm dropping the rear suspension to get to a damn plug to for the fuel pump. That's just friggin stupid! The tank is out as you can see. As soon as daughter gets home I'm going to have her try the key again and see if I get it to hum to life.

Name:  VID00100-2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  VID00099-2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  44.5 KB

Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 PM

After I looked at you pictures, I would go to the parts store and look at a new pump & see what the new pump looks like and see if there are any instructions in the box. If not, like you I would be putting a plug connection in line or just splice it.

Another do have the car jack stands under the axle or frame. If you have them under the axle, would moving them from the axle to the frame allowing the axle to drop down give you room to remove the pump from the tank?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

so the actual pump itself can not be taken apart from the pump assembly? i thought the pump itself could be separated ... i looked up the parts at O'Reilly auto and it shows it is like what was on my 1992. the fuel pump is the cylinder shaped thing in there with hose connected at top and the screen filter on bottom... unsnap the screen, undo the hose and undo the retaining clamp on the pump and it should come apart. what you are messing with is the entire assembly and not just the pump

Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Hi Fellas! Well it's been over six months since I've tackled this issue with the fuel pump. With me being in college full time at 57 years old and all the other things in life the Marguis has taken a back seat. Now that I've taken the summer off I'm back at it. The last thing I did was drop the fuel tank and it's been sitting empty and clean since then.

I bought a new fuel pump assembly. Installed it and now I'm fighting like a madman with the fuel tank straps. They're not even CLOSE to letting me get a nut on them. I've jacked the tank up and far as it will go and I can see it snug against the top so there's no getting it any higher. The strap only comes within about 1 1/2" of the stud it secures to and I can get it any closer. I know these things don't just shrink, so what the hell happened? The tank only goes in one way so I know it's in the right position. I'm really stumped on this one guys and I need to get this car finished and out of the garage. Anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?