General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1999 Mercury Marquis - License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Exclamation 1999 Mercury Marquis - License Plate

I bought my dad's '99 Marquis and need to put a front license plate on it. He lived in a state the didn't require a plate. There are four holes in the front bumper but they are not threaded. I bought a "License Plate Bracket" from a Ford dealer. It is a cheap piece of plastic that I looks like it should be bolted to the bottom holes on the bumper (They line up) but the holes aren't threaded. The plate slides into slots on the edges. The top holes in the plate line up with the upper holes BUT they are not threaded.

I tried rigging it and lost the plate

Does anyone know how the heck the bracket and plate are supposed to be mounted. My dear wife is all over my case about this since she got a warning ticket from the Ohio State Patrol.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM

If the holes are not threaded, try using bolts, washers and nuts to mount the plate holder and plate.You would need access to the backside of the plastic bumper. I have a 99 grand marquis also, and that is what we have done.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Fixed! Ford dealer used special (large) pop rivets to attach the mounting bracket. He gave me some self tapping bolts and advised I drill a slightly smaller hole through the bumper where the two upper un-threaded holes. Did that and screwed the bolts in, no problem.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Default Try This:

Get a stainless-steel frame and bolts with chrome covers from Amazon.com.
See attached photo.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Mercury Marquis - License Plate-95-merc.jpg  
Old 03-10-2021, 12:53 PM

I don't see those funny. Sorry but if you are trying to be funny with a reg plate than I'm sorry for you. That is just not right. Also, the idea of spending money on those registration plates is just not right. When you are reg your car you got a number, that’s not a name. Your car already has a name on it. Anyway, if you are looking for those plates at least do it smartly. Here car.co.uk you will find those for a small price. Nevertheless, I suggest you think at least twice before spending your money on things useless like that one. It is not worth it, believe me.

Last edited by sigband; 03-11-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Random
I bought my dad's '99 Marquis and need to put a front license plate on it. He lived in a state the didn't require a plate. There are four holes in the front bumper but they are not threaded. I bought a "License Plate Bracket" from a Ford dealer. It is a cheap piece of plastic that I looks like it should be bolted to the bottom holes on the bumper (They line up) but the holes aren't threaded. The plate slides into slots on the edges. The top holes in the plate line up with the upper holes BUT they are not threaded.

I tried rigging it and lost the plate
Well, it's best to bolt it on and washers. But of course it would be better if you initially ran the car by license plate before buying to know what its shortcomings are before you buy. I usually do so, I look at https://epicvin.com/license-plate-lookup/texas license plates, punch in and find out just what kind of car, what its assembly and equipment, what is missing and so on. Maybe you should look too.
Does anyone know how the heck the bracket and plate are supposed to be mounted. My dear wife is all over my case about this since she got a warning ticket from the Ohio State Patrol.
I just used bolts and washers in a similar situation.

Last edited by Ramon; 03-01-2023 at 01:28 PM.