General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

A/C COMPRESSOR

Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 PM

I HAVE A 89 COUGAR WITH WORKING A/C BUTA BLOWN HEAD AND I HAVE A 90 COUGAR WITH A GREAT ENGINE AND A BAD A/C COMPRESSOR. SHOULD I TAKE THE COMPRESSOR FROM THE 89 AND PUT IT IN THE 90? ABOUT HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST? THANKS AND HAPPY SAFE HOLIDAYS TO Y''ALL![img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM

::!BIG NOTE!::

you must recover the refrigerant in a proper manner or you could be heavily fined.

ok... that out of the way... if they look the same, are the same size and bolt patter with the same size and belt patter pully, sure, easy swap. just unbolt and swap. get an AC mechanic to remove the refrigerant and you can pretty much to the swap yourself. if I remember right, the compressor is usually mounted high passenger side and you can get access to everything easily. if you need a mechanic to do it all, you''re looking at a couple hundred bucks probably for the labor and then another 75-100 for the charging of the system.

you should also replace the expansion valve and the accumulator/dryer when doing this swap. it will help the system last much longer after the swap is done.