General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

villager estate

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM

my 1999 villager estate would not start this morning. the engine cranked but would not kick over. waited one hour and now it started. the gas pedal sometimes sticks. i was told the throttle body needs to be cleaned and that this could also be part of the starting problem. can anyone else tell me what might be wrong?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 AM

throttle cable could be catching inside itself, something may be catching the pedal under the dash, something may be catching the throttle on the throttle body, the cruise control cable may be catching, the position sensor might be catching somehow.

as for the not starting issue, sometimes batteries will develop a weak cell and not be able to crank over but will still turn, just slower than normal. it may be a sensor issue causing the engine to flood (especially if the throttle position sensor thinks the throttle is wide open).

Definitely take the intake hose off and see if the throttle body is gunked up. you may also need to get some good lubricant and lubricate the throttle. There''s definitely lots to check.

as for checking the battery, most parts places likw autozone will check them as well as any walmart with a tire-lube express. This test will also check the alternator and starter if they have the handheld tester that connects directly to the car.