General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Where do you get gas, Where don;t you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM

i agree max fax although i would like to see gas go down to the dollar range... that would be real nice...

Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM

*in shaky old man voice* I remember when gas was just a dime a gallon. those were the days. With 5 bucks you could fill the ice chest and the tank and party all weekend.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM

i wish you could fill the ice chest and the tank for $5 these days id be drunk all the time and have a full tank all the time... lol...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 PM

When I started driving gas was $.97 generally but I remeber finding it for $.74 on a road trip.. I drove a Gran Torino that got 15mpg and a MustangII that got 8 on premium fuel only (and it only had a 10 gallon tank!).. Dem was good times, but short lived....

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM

yeh gas was cheap then people had to start getting greedy...

Old 06-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Default GAS BUDDY is Your Friend !!

When we're in town (Phoenix), we buy our gasoline at the local Safeway supermarket, which carries Chevron gas. The quality of the Chevron is consistant, as is the fuel mileage.
Safeway has a "rewards" program that gives ten cents-per-gallon discount for every so much money you spend in the store.
We have gotten up to $1-per-gallon discount at the pump, so it's a no-brainer !!
When traveling, we use "gasbuddy.com" -- to find the gas we want at the best price in the town that we're passing through.
GAS BUDDY has saved us A TON of money on our many cross-country motor trips, and we always carry a bottle of "ISO-HEET" in case we hit some gas that has water in it.
ISO-HEET is the best gas-dryer, since it is made with ISOPROPYL Alcohol, which is THE superior water-remover. It fights the dreaded "phase separation" much better than methanol-based water-removers because Isopropyl alcohol blends with gasoline, ethanol fuels, and water.
A 20-ounce bottle of Chevron's "TECHRON" in the gas tank every 5,000 miles keeps our fuel injectors clear of gummy deposits.
At 165,000 miles, the '95 Grand Marquis runs perfectly, gives great fuel mileage, and recently passed the mandated "Smog Test" with great scores:
Hydrocarbons - Maximum Standard=220 Parts-per-million. Test results = 32 parts-per-million.
Carbon Monoxide - Maximum Standard = 1.2 % . Test results = 0.38 %
I change the Motorcraft FG-800A fuel filter once every year -- it's cheap insurance !
In any case, you'll get the "best" gasoline from stations that are always busy -- the gas doesn't stay in the underground tanks long enough to get "stale" or absorb moisture from the air inside the underground tanks.

95 MERC at Flaming Gorge, Utah

Last edited by 95 MERC; 11-07-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Update Content
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 PM

My wife and I travel throughout the 50 states, Canada, and Mexico.
Searching for a particular brand of gasoline is difficult, and A LOT of time and money is wasted while searching for the lowest prices.
Mexico is easy -- the government runs the show, and they control the prices and the type of fuel that's available. They only have "regular" and "premium", and the price is pretty much the same wherever you go in Mexico.
For the USA and Canada we use GASBUDDY.COM -- they know where the gas is, they know how much it costs at each station, you can compare prices , and you can plan your trip accordingly.
I look for "name" brands (Chevron, Shell, Mobil), but also seek out Valero, Sinclair, and Sunoco,if available in the area.

An important factor when traveling is getting gasoline that's "fresh", so we avoid buying gas in small towns, where the gas may have become "stale" or contaminated with water after sitting too long in the underground tanks.
We avoid stations that are at or near the bottom of a hill, where rainwater can get in the storage tanks more easily.
Water in the gasoline can really spoil a trip, so we always carry a couple of plastic bottles of "ISO-HEET" -- which is made with ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, not methanol, like most other brands of so-called "water removers".
ISO-HEET works better and faster than other products to make the water and gasoline emulsify and pass harmlessly through the fuel system.
Here at home in Phoenix, our gasoline contains 10% -15% ethanol, which can gum up fuel injectors, especially if it stands for a month or two. We buy our gasoline (it's Chevron-Shell) at the local Safeway Supermarket, where we save on their "Gas Rewards" program.
I keep a log of miles traveled, and gallons used (to 2 decimal places- 00.00)
We have made many trips between Phoenix, AZ and Dana Point, CA, a distance of 375 miles, and the best mileage ever recorded in our 2-ton Mercury Grand Marquis V-8 is 26.83 mpgs on Mobil 87 octane.
We once achieved 30.04 mpgs in the restored 95 MERC -- between Park City UT and Orem, UT -- using MOBIL "Regular 87 Octane" fuel.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 11-07-2019 at 10:20 AM.