Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2004 marquis gs many problems help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Unhappy 2004 marquis gs many problems help please

Ok, first my front right window only goes down, my back right window will godown but takes several tries to go up. The back door sticks shut unless I hit unlock like 10 times, the lock button on the drivers door only unlocks. Also I have a check engine code for a "evap leak". I need to know what to fix and how much it'll cost and I'd also like to know how hard it would be to put on dual exhaust, and if it were possible to put in an automatic mustang transmission and a limited slip differential. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Front Right Window :
You need to take the door panel off and check the regulator assembly. It has two cables running off a spool hooked to the window motor, you either have a broken cable or the nylon bushings inside the motor are worn out/broken.

Back Right Window :
Door panel off, lube regulator track it runs on and possible adjustment of track assembly.

Back Door Unlock :
Sounds like you are describing a door lock actuator and some type of alignment problem again, once again door panel off and check it out.

What is the code? Is evap leak code P0457?(gas cap)

Last edited by EddieE; 03-13-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: change evap code question
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 AM

THe window motors are brand new it goes down but if i switch the negative and positive wires itll go up. Both front and back. Gas cap is brand new and sealed tight but the recepticleitself is loose-ish the actuator is lined up I think its just worn out. But the door handle sticks and sometimes the door will be shut but the lights stay on like its open. I think its a latch issue

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

Ok, so the motors are new, that rules out the nylon bushings in the motors, cables could just be old and worn out in the direction you need...regulator assembly needs replacement or adjustment. They have had several TSB's over the years dealing with problems with the regulator assembly. Cables wear out, the track becomes misaligned over time. Dorman sells a ton of regulators for Fords & Mercurys. If you try and put one on you will need the proper pop rivet tool or it will turn out half ***. What was the evap code anyways?

Last edited by EddieE; 03-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Its not the motors themselves because i switched the power wires going to the motor and it went up. The motor can go up and down, but I have to switch the incoming power to do it, so its something outside the door and I don't remember the code.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 PM

Alcohol, 2 bucks or in the medicine cabinet, (0fcoarse you could use some Wray & Nephew white overproof (200 proof white label one liter bottle) Jamaican Rum..but you might not have a switch left when done...not to mention the extreme fire hazzard...anyways JK) pour it on switch while working it ( not connected), be generous, dry, hook it back up see if that cures your contact problem with the switch, if not substitute a known working switch and compare.

Last edited by EddieE; 03-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 AM

I hope that works. I really need this issue solved. I also need to know 3 things: 1 is where I could find a 12 volt power source that is easily accessible and only works when the key is on or on accessory besides my stereo. The second is how much it would be for a 5speed automatic transmission or a limited slip diff. The third is how much a gloss black paint job would be