Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Differential fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Default Differential fluid change?

I have a 1999 Grand Marquis with 45,000 miles on it. I'm getting its perfectly running transmission serviced soon. Should I get the differential fluid changed at the same time, since that's recommended at 60,000 miles?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Yo, GS !!
A word to the wise -- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have your transmission "FLUSHED" !!
No way, No time, No how !!
Your Merc's tranny will last pretty near forever by following the FOMOCO-recommended method for maintaining your transmission.
1. Remove the 14 bolts (10 mm hex) that hold the pan in place.
2. Remove the transmission pan.
3. Carefully Remove the OEM gasket -- SAVE IT, it's re-usable.
3. Remove the transmission filter, and replace with Motorcraft (Made in USA) FT-100 trans filter.
Some brands of filters come with a cork gasket -- DO NOT use them !! There's no need for RTV gasket sealers and/or the messy clean-up.
The OEM (genuine Motorcraft) gasket can be cleaned with WD-40 and re-used with NO SEALER.
Before installing the new filter, make sure that the internal rubber filter neck gasket has been removed from the valve body..
Install the new filter, pan, and gasket -- and bring the pan bolts up to "snug", using a criss-cross pattern to prevent pan warpage.
Tighten the bolts to 125 inch-pounds.

Add 5 quarts of Mercon V transmission fluid. I prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic Trans Fluid.
Start it up, drive it for 10 miles or so, and check the trans fluid level.
Add only 4 ounces , check again, and add 4 ounces at a time until the proper level is reached.
DO NOT OVER-FILL !!

About that differential --

For proper differential service, the differential cover must be removed so that the inside of the housing can be cleaned thoroughly and the internal parts can be inspected for wear and/or damage.
Get a "LubeLocker" Gasket for the Ford 8.8-in. differential -- Part number = LLR-F880 FORD -- I got mine from Amazon.com
The LubeLocker gasket is made in USA of steel -- covered on both sides with rubber, and an elastomeric sealant that is applied at the factory.
NO RTV SEALER of any kind is necessary !!
Clean the mating surfaces carefully, clean your diff cover and put it back on.
When replacing the stock diff cover, it will take 60 ounces of gear oil to bring it to the proper level. The diff cover in the enclosed picture requires 80 ounces of gear oil.
Fill the differential with 75-90 Synthetic gear lube -- I use Mobil 1 75-90 LS or Royal Purple 75-90 --with NO additives.

Attached Thumbnails Differential fluid change?-fomoco-8.8-differential-cover.jpg  

Last edited by 95 MERC; 08-25-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Add Part Number
Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanks again, Merc, for all of the info! I'll do everything you suggest, to help me keep this beauty forever!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Glad to be of help, GS !!

I added a B&M "stacked plate" type of Transmission Cooler to beat the heat here in the Southwest desert -- and extend transmission life.

Also installed a B&M Shift Improver Kit to give firmer, more positive shifts for extensive mountain cruising.