Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Muffler went *BOOM*

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 PM

I am kinda glad this happened because I took the car to the tranny shop and let them work on that rear differential (just needed a seal). Note the copious amounts of oil (shiny part) on differential in that last pic. there was even more on the car above it as well.

Replaced with magnaflow :-D

Also had to replace the Y pipe behind the dual cats... it found religion in the apex of the Y (was holey where the two pipes came together).

Depending on whether the car passes inspection, I may have to replace the cats too. Will find out in December.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Wow. Nice carnage!!

You can order a factory style H pipe and tailpipes through Autozone''s website and go back with a set of duals for a surprisingly small amount of money.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by BFM70
Wow. Nice carnage!!You can order a factory style H pipe and tailpipes through Autozone''s website and go back with a set of duals for a surprisingly small amount of money.
if/when I have some budget to help out the airflow more on the MGM, I''ll definitely think about it, but for now, it''s repair what breaks and keep it running good.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 AM

How did the muffler come end up looking like trick cigar? Big, big backfire? Damn! LOL!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 AM

essentially. it was rusted out so bad that the theory goes like this...

when I accelerated from the light some flakes plugged the tailpipe end of the muffler allowing unburnt vapors that made it past the cats to build up and when it hit the proper fuel/air ratio the heat in the system ignited it and blew the muffler apart like opening an sardine can.

and yes... REALLY big boom. I feel sorry for anyone that was nearby with their windows down cause it scared the hell out of me inside the car and that merc is pretty sound proof.