Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

my 1987 Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

83,94Marquis99... if you want to get rid of the extra writing when you post... go to your settings and click no next to the wysiwyg.

thanks for your response about my Grand Marquis. i like the 86 and 87 due to the body style most and the engine in them. i have my Grand Marquis you saw and also 2 Crown Victorias. all of which are 1987s. my girlfriend has a 1987 2 door Crown Vic and a 1989 4 door Crown Vic. i have owned ine longer and she liked my cars and got hers. i have done more work to hers than my own cars. i have totally changed her interior and did lots of cleaning and painting under the hood of her car. i will post pictures of her 1989 Crown Vic if people would want to see what i have done to hers.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

well... Sandy had a temper tantrum today and decided to blow off some steam. i was 20 miles from home and engine light kicked on. well, i knew it was one of 2 things... overheat or no oil pressure. well, she popped a hose on backside of the intake someplace i need to track down. i had to stop 10 miles from home as a cool down to avoid later issues and after 20-30 minutes of cooling off i got her home. will keep you updated on her condition since if i am gonna have her upper intake/plenum off for repairs, i will be tossing on a HO plenum/intake i have painted up to replace her stock setup.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM

fun (sarcasm, sarcasm)

do post pics... we always like show and tell.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 AM

I've always liked the idea of dropping some GT-40 heads on one of these.. The Ford H.O. heads were better but still had rather small ports (especially the exhaust) The aftermarket heads albeit nice are still a bit more cash than I like to drop for now..

I have a 90 4 door sitting waiting in a shed, great body engine is toast.. Swapped the trac lok rear, speedo, and trans (after a rebuild and a shift kit) from a 91 police car in it just before the engine went bang..

Been trying to decide what to drop in it for sure.. The 351W from the police car would be nice but I'd like to keep the efi and it would need a rebuild. Unfortunately the options for EFI on a Windsor are slim or expensive if I want the hood to close...

I'd love to get my hands on the 5.0 from a 96 - 01 Exploder (Gt-40 heads and intakes) but one hasn;t come my way yet... Couple that with the A9L injection from a Mustang or T-Bird/Cougar, shorty headers with dual exhaust, and I'll be buying tires alot...

Last edited by maxfax3; 03-20-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

well... i have an update on Sandy...

after fixing the small hose that went bad, she started leaking out from the freeze plug on backside of the driver side cylinder head. i had to use an expandable rubber type as a replacement. had to remove the upper plenum and the wiper motor and its box to have access to it for installation. after i got that fixed, the radiator clogged from crap in the system and i got that fixed. as soon as i got that fixed thinking i solved my overheating issue, the lower radiator hose popped on me. Sandy has been letting me fix one thing only to let another problem arise. kind of frustrating since i am trying to find a job and no money for many repairs and burning thru my reserve parts. at the very least, i took Sandy out for a drive to verify she was running right again...
i can say she is happy again, i laid into the gas pedal and she took flight. she shifted from 1st to 2nd at 43mph, into Drive(3rd) at 65 and kept climbing pegging the needle quick. i need to figure out how to take video clip of how she flies.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 AM

Ouch I imagine that plug would be a bear to get too.. I though I was doing good by flushing the coolant in the Lincoln years ago.. I did good alright, flushed the crap out that was keeping the freeze plugs from leaking.. I think I changed 1 a day for 3 days... Ended up changing the few remaining that weekend.. Still have one of those rubber expandable jobs in the one hole.. The manifold was covering most of it.. I didn;t feel real confident about the manifold bolts coming out completely after 30 years and I really didn;t wanna hoof 460 heads in and out of the engine bay..6 years and another 100K it's still holding.. (But I keep an extra in the glove box for good measure)

It would be too easy for everything to be wrong at one time and be fixed at the same time.. Or if it's like the VW, a bunch goes wrong at once, I fix it all, then everything else goes wrong...