Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Stuck Power window and weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Default Stuck Power window and weather stripping

Hey every one i just bought a 2nd 89' grand marquis for the winter but the drivers side power window worked fine till i rolled in all the way down then when it was time to bring it back up nothing no sound in the motor or anything. I tried to pull it up but it wont budge could be the problem be maybe the motor is finished??? cause if it is would i still be unable to pull it up by hand and does any one know where i can get the weather striping for all 4 windows i cant find a store that sells it any where thanks allot for your support.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 PM

sounds like the motor jammed up or the power cable to it got disconnected or the gears locked up. definitely will have to take the door panel off (lots of screws to get those armrests off and get at the panel, phillips and hex heads) and see what's up with it. to get to the motor though, you'll need a half inch drill bit to drill out the dimples to get at the mounting bolts unless the holes are already there. it should be near the bottom of the door directly below where the tip of the handle is. check the wire harness first to make sure it didn't just come lose. it should be up front near the 6.5" speaker hole.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 AM

i have already taken off the panel and the cables are good but when i try to bring the window up it doesn't do any thing but i do hear a very faint noise so i know the motor isn't dead but maybe the gears are stuck like you said window is still on the track to.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM

in that case, it's the nylon plugs in the motor that have disintegrated. You'll have to take the motor out, take the gear housing access panel off (one phillips screw and then pry it off) to get to the spots where the plugs should be. I'd replace them with 7/16 ball bearings (if I remember correctly) so you don't ever have to open that thing again for that problem. You'll have to clean out all the chunks that are mucked up in there and may have to add a little grease when you're done.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 AM

there is not allot of room to work with on these doors especially the rear ones but would it just be better to get another door? would it be faster to change then the motor.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM

if you have all the electric stuff, probably not. it would be WAY more expensive to just replace the door. The bearings I'm talking about are usually at any hardware store for about 30-50 CENTS each. You only need 3 per door. To get the door off, you're going to have to take it all apart anyhow. just taking the window motor out (drilling the dimples in the door with a good carbide drill will generally only take about 10 minutes) and replacing the messed up nylon plugs with ball bearings took me about 2.5 hours for all 4 doors when I did that to my 88 MGM. If yours has the holes already punched out to get to the bolts that mount the motor to the regulator and door, then it'll be even quicker. I'm not sure what year they started pre-punching those holes. I'm guessing in 92 with the newer style bodies.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Going back to your original post about the window weather stripping and/or trim for the windows. That is more than likely going to be a dealer item or check your local bone yard for some decent pieces, but they will probably just crack or break during removal. You could always google it which will probaly just turn up genuine Merc parts ads. Remember if $$ is an issue, someone always has a lower price. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM

oh yeah... www.JCWhitney.com has lots of weatherstripping for many... many vehicles. check them out and see if they have what you need.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

while holding the power window switch to raise the window.. hit the inside of the door with your fist with speaker and panel in place close to where speaker is mounted. many times, the motors get bad spots and get stuck down. i remember to just leave mine a hair up instead of all the way down.