Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Tranny flush or fluid exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 95 MERC
Glad to be of help, especially if you are gonna run your Grand Marquis on the infamous "Road to Hana" !! ;>)
When I was working in Maui I had a Caddie and tried that road to Hana..... never again.
We also did it with our motorcycle club..... one of our guys went head on with a car and he never rode again.
Too many crazy drivers on that road.
Im back on Oahu now and retired ..... I only travel after work traffic hours. It's a parking lot out there during work traffic hours.
if you're ever on Oahu.... give me a holler...... I have an extra set of golf clubs..... let's go tear up some turf.

Cappy
Oahu Hawaii USA 🇺🇸

Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Default 2001 mgm ls

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum and have inherited a 2001 MGM LS with 99K miles. It has sat for the last 4 years. I will start the process of getting it back to running for use as my daily driver this coming January. My question may be obvious but I wanted to check with you all to be sure. Should I do a transmission flush or just perform a fluid exchange and any suggested preventative maintenance?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Trev

Last edited by bigtrev72; 12-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Yo, Cappy --
First went to Hawaii in '56 (Navy) -- returned as a civilian in 1986.
Did the Road to Hana in a rented Toyota Corolla -- it was a blast !!
I'm in Phoenix, AZ -- retired from web-offset printing since '96.
My wife and I travel the Western US, seeking hot mineral springs.
The 95 MERC has been set up for long-distance, hi-speed touring -- extensive Brake and Suspension modifications involved.
Modified air intake, regulated fuel pressure, and ignition upgrades for the engine.
Dual exhaust, with H-pipe and open glasspacks -- with customized exhaust exit.
B&M Shift Improver Kit for the tranny..
Cast aluminum differential cover, with bearing load supports.
As an automotive hobbyist and enthusiast, I enjoy the research, planning, and installation of performance products on my vehicles.
Bought the 95 MERC in August of 2005, @ 51,000 miles -- just turned 160,000 last week.
Not a golfer, Cappy -- but thanks for the offer. I don't think we'll be going back to Hawaii, unless we hit the Lottery !!

Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM

Yo, Trev !!
Your 2001 Marquis transmission has two (2) filters --
The internal filter (Motorcraft # FT-105) is changed by dropping the trans pan and RE-using the original pan gasket.
The external filter (Motorcarft # FT-183) is mounted in the transmission cooling line.
Get the Motorcraft parts -- aftermarket brands don't cut it !!
RockAuto.com has great prices for these items, also available at Amazon.com.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have your FORD, MERCURY, or LINCOLN transmission FLUSHED -- EVER !!
The so-called "flushing process" does not remove the metal particles and small bits of clutch discs that accumulate in the trans pan.
This debris MUST be removed by dropping and cleaning the pan, changing the internal filter, and cleaning the ceramic magnet that's in the bottom of the pan.
When re-filling the transmission, be careful and DO NOT OVER-FILL !!
Good luck !!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:27 PM

Yo, Cappy --
First went to Hawaii in '56 (Navy) -- returned as a civilian in 1986.
Did the Road to Hana in a rented Toyota Corolla -- it was a blast !!
I'm in Phoenix, AZ -- retired from web-offset printing since '96.
My wife and I travel the Western US, seeking hot mineral springs.
The 95 MERC has been set up for long-distance, hi-speed touring -- extensive Brake and Suspension modifications involved.
Modified air intake, regulated fuel pressure, and ignition upgrades for the engine.
Dual exhaust, with H-pipe and open glasspacks -- with customized exhaust exit.
B&M Shift Improver Kit for the tranny..
Cast aluminum differential cover, with bearing load supports.
As an automotive hobbyist and enthusiast, I enjoy the research, planning, and installation of performance products on my vehicles.
Bought the 95 MERC in August of 2005, @ 51,000 miles -- just turned 160,000 last week.
Not a golfer, Cappy -- but thanks for the offer. I don't think we'll be going back to Hawaii, unless we hit the Lottery !!
I was thinking of dual exhaust for my car. Headers probably none existent for these model cars. I'm heading out the door right now. I'm taking her to the exhaust shop to see what they have.
I'll let you know what I find out.
i have ordered 18 inch rims. Also a complete brake kit from Powerstop brakes.... slotted and drilled, red calipers, with carbon ceramic pads..... I also had the body completely ceramic coated. Water beads off like a champ. I wipe her down every morning with a damp cloth.

What is the B&M shift kit all about.... did you switch to a floor shifter??????

There is a 2010 MGM with only 2,300 miles on it for sale $8,000 on Craigslist here..... I seriously thinking of buying that one too. Wife thinks I'm crazy 😜.

I'm a car nut too.... mostly Corvettes. I had two 79 & 81. I did all the wrenching on both.
The 81 was a show car and a quarter mile beast.... I removed the wimpy 190 hp engine and replaced it with a Bill Mitchell small block 427 crate engine. My best time in the quarter was 11.2.... could have gone faster but the hatchet man cut me off since NHRA rules require a roll cage and five point harness.... if I run below 11.5
This is first time venturing into large fuel injection cruisers which I know nothing about.
Youre lucky you have huge freeways to open up on.... here on Oahu we run out of road quickly.

Glad you're here on the forum with excellent advice.....
Thanks again

Cappy
Oahu Hawaii

Old 12-19-2018, 12:36 PM

That PowerStop Brake Kit should work out well. I suggest you replace all 4 Brake Hoses and switch to D.O.T. 4 Brake Fluid.
The hoses weaken with age, and a new set will give better "pedal feel", and more confident braking action.
I replaced all brake calipers with NAPA Eclipse units.

Walker H-Pipe; MagnFlw Glasspacks

Front Brakes - Eclipse Calipers; Motorcraft Police Pads; ACDelco Rotors; Centric Hoses; DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Dual exhausts are a MUST, but NO HEADERS !! The high heat from the headers tends to fry the engine compartment, and everything in there ;>)
I used a Walker H-pipe, 2-inch OD MagnaFlow Glasspacks, and Walker tailpipes, with 2.5-inch, slant-cut tips. All exhaust parts bought from Amazon.com,
and welded up at MufflerMasters of Avondale, AZ.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 PM

That PowerStop Brake Kit should work out well. I suggest you replace all 4 Brake Hoses and switch to D.O.T. 4 Brake Fluid.
The hoses weaken with age, and a new set will give better "pedal feel", and more confident braking action.
I replaced all brake calipers with NAPA Eclipse units.

Walker H-Pipe; MagnFlw Glasspacks

Front Brakes - Eclipse Calipers; Motorcraft Police Pads; ACDelco Rotors; Centric Hoses; DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Dual exhausts are a MUST, but NO HEADERS !! The high heat from the headers tends to fry the engine compartment, and everything in there ;>)
I used a Walker H-pipe, 2-inch OD MagnaFlow Glasspacks, and Walker tailpipes, with 2.5-inch, slant-cut tips. All exhaust parts bought from Amazon.com,
and welded up at MufflerMasters of Avondale, AZ.
Yesterday they dualed her out with Flow masters..... with square stainless exhaust tips. They cut the bumper to fit the square tips and it looks awesome. Yep... exhaust guy said the same thing about headers on these cars. They fry the engine bay.
I need to return to exhaust shop again today.... at idle something is bumping against the undercarriage.
Where can I get new brake hoses????? I really wanted the stainless braided but can't find a place that makes hoses for this car.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Yo, Cappy !!
Forget the braided brake hoses -- not for the Merc G M -- WAAYY too expensive to custom-make.
I used Centric brand hoses, but here is a better choice:
RAYBESTOS Brake Hoses -
Right Front --BH382468
Left Front - - BH382469
Right Rear -- BH382482
Left Rear -- BH382483
Available@ RockAuto.com -- about $20 each
--------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission Shift Kit --
I installed a B&M kit, but now there is a better-engineered product:
TRANSGO -- TRG-AODE-HD2 -- fits '91-'08 AODE/4R70W
Available @SUMMITRacing.com -- about $90 + S&H.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you like those FlowMasters -- they're VERY popular, but too expensive, too bulky, too heavy, and too noisy for my usage.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Forgot to ask -- do you do your own wrenching ??
I'm not a professional auto mechanic, but have extensive experience with many types of mechanical equipment.
I do everything that I have the tools for, which is just about everything on the 95 MERC.
Got the Factory Shop Manuals (2) for the 95 MERC. (Used, Amazon.com, $42)
No hydraulic lift, so I work on my back -- on the concrete carport floor.
Kinda primitive, but that's OK -- many refer to me as "Cave Man", anyways ;>)

Last edited by 95 MERC; 12-20-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Yo, Cappy !!
Yes sir.... What's up????

Hooe you found source for stainless steel braided brake lines.��

Last edited by ru4mercurygm; 12-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 PM

Read the post above your last post -- My post of 09:45 a.m. today.

Quick Reply: Tranny flush or fluid exchange?