Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Weird problem with map lights, or reading lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 10:32 AM
Default Weird problem with map lights, or reading lights.

'05 GMq LX. What happens is, the map lights will sometimes--actually, most of the time--only work as dome lights, meaning they both turn on when a door is opened or unlocked (or by the dimmer switch). In their failed state, the map light buttons will NOT turn the lights on when they're off, but they WILL turn the respective lights off when they're on (i.e. if a door is open, etc). And like I said, other times they work just fine, but more often than not, when I need a map light, the buttons won't turn them on. Annoying. Does anyone know what's up here?

Old 01-16-2022, 12:55 PM

Did you ever find out the issue, I am having the same problem with my car?

Old 01-16-2022, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sylentnite
Did you ever find out the issue, I am having the same problem with my car?
Well, I thought I fixed it. The trunk lid wiring was detached from the left side hinge gooseneck. I zip tied it back and thought problem went away for a while, but eventually came back.. Sorry, no updates, I couldn't find any more info and just gave up for the time being. Learned to live without.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:56 PM

I gotcha, it's got to be a connector or something, I hit a bump one time and it started working, next time I got back in the car it was back to not working. My sun visor lights aren't working also. 03 marauder

Old 01-18-2022, 04:21 PM

I still think, at least in my case, it's something inside the trunk lid. I'll get around to it one day. I'll update when I do.

Old 01-11-2023, 05:10 PM
Default Hi, i have a mercury marauder ,same issue

Originally Posted by ELLCAPITAN
'05 GMq LX. What happens is, the map lights will sometimes--actually, most of the time--only work as dome lights, meaning they both turn on when a door is opened or unlocked (or by the dimmer switch). In their failed state, the map light buttons will NOT turn the lights on when they're off, but they WILL turn the respective lights off when they're on (i.e. if a door is open, etc). And like I said, other times they work just fine, but more often than not, when I need a map light, the buttons won't turn them on. Annoying. Does anyone know what's up here?
I am in the process of finding the problem , all connections are good in overhead console.
All other lights are good.i am going to replace the LCM on saturday 1/14/23 .
that test should help.
Peace