Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Interior lights stay on...electrical HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 PM

when you got rid of the smog pump, what did you do about the cross-over pipe around the back of the motor? are there plugs for those holes?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 AM

Hey Slymer, did you try that spray-on headliner adhesive? You just spray it on the interior side of the liner and it cures and dries with no dis-color or tackyness. It worked in my brothers Cutlass. Just a thought.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 AM

it would work... for a week or two... the foam is slowly disintegrating... so unless I replace it, it really won't fix it.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

easiest way to fix them headliners in the boxy looking panthers is getting one from junkyard. remove trim from upper area. take down the dome light and visors. find a couple if needed and practice with 1 or 2 on how you remove it from the car. you have to kind of fold it without creasing it to get it out of the car door. luckily for my, my 2 door parts car has a tan headliner and perfect dash i can put in my Grand Marquis.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Default interior lights

I have a 91 grand marquis gs, recently the interior and keyhole lights started to stay on after the car was shut off and doors closed. There is no key less entry pad any ideas on what it may be?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 PM

First off, check the headlight switch to make sure it's not turned all the way until it clicks. If it is, turn it just past the click and the lights should go off after closing the doors (and the delay timer relay times out). If that doesn't solve it, check the door switches to make sure one didn't fall in or just about to... tighten up the nut holding it on to re-set it and that should solve that problem.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
First off, check the headlight switch to make sure it's not turned all the way until it clicks. If it is, turn it just past the click and the lights should go off after closing the doors (and the delay timer relay times out). If that doesn't solve it, check the door switches to make sure one didn't fall in or just about to... tighten up the nut holding it on to re-set it and that should solve that problem.
Thanks it was the rotary ****, i had no idea that that controlled the dome lights if turned i thought it just dimmed the dash lights or turned the lights on if pulled. I was also wondering if you knew of a good place to get fender trim, because mine is all dung up from the previous owner and after all the body work i put in i would like to have some nice trim. The problem being the only ones i have found are half arch and too wide from the newer models, even though they say it will fit a 91. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:12 PM

if a dealer can't get it, call around to body shops. if they can't get it, then it can't be got. I've had the same trouble with my 88 mgm and the lower door trim for the passenger side door. I have half a mind to take all the trim off both sides, grind the clip studs down and paint it for a flush look on both sides. I really hate it that these cars were not made more popular. they really are great cars. Body parts are hell to find for them though.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
if a dealer can't get it, call around to body shops. if they can't get it, then it can't be got. I've had the same trouble with my 88 mgm and the lower door trim for the passenger side door. I have half a mind to take all the trim off both sides, grind the clip studs down and paint it for a flush look on both sides. I really hate it that these cars were not made more popular. they really are great cars. Body parts are hell to find for them though.
Thats kind of what i figured, i stopped at a local shop today and ordered some (lets hope they are right) and just dropped the money to have a new vinyl roof put on so by Friday she'll be like new I hope.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 AM

Hey guys...sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. Still do not have this issue solved....really dont want to take it to a dealer, as they will prob. charge me an arm and a leg, but im looking to get rid of the suv soon, and dont want to be explaining issues to buyers.

oh and btw....still looking for that front diff. for it!!

Quick Reply: Interior lights stay on...electrical HELP!!