Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

New 2 here & need help w/05 Mountaineer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:16 PM

I just recently purchased an '05 Mountaineer AWD with 14,200 miles on it. Since buying it in late January, I have had it in the shop 3 times for the same thing. I was really hoping for the whole 3rd times a charm thing. Anyway, the best way for me to describe my problem is rough shifting. Almost like it slips. There is a definate jerk in the shift. It usually does this from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. The dealership told me at first that they didn't feel any problems. I then drove with the services man. He apparently didn't drive it because he felt it while I was driving. He said yeah, thats not normal but I don't know I will have to check around. They then decided to replace the solanoid pack. Picked it up andit's still doing it. Had it in there yesterday and now they have decided that it is just normal in the Mountaineer, they all do it. I said ok, then I would like to drive a new one to feel it do it. Well I didn't drive it but the service man drove me. Guess what? I didn't feel it in the new one. So any suggestions? I read a couple of posts talking about additives in the transmission fluids. Could someone explain that? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:08 PM

My Mountaineer shifts funny as well, it took a few weeks to get used to. I also heard that the mountaineer has a learning transmission that adjusts to the drivers driving habits, not really sure what that is all about.

Billl Baraby

Old 03-22-2006, 12:32 PM

The mountaineer has an " Adaptive Transmision" It takes a couple of month for it to udjust to the way u drive. But when i got mine, it was'nt shifting funny at all. I think u might need to change your transmision fluid or change the transmision. You have to insist the deralership to fix it. Its under full bumper to bumper, and if they say they cant do anything tell them that you're ganna call the Main Headquaters. Take the guys name and tell him that you'll complain if he doesnt fix it, it usually works..

Old 03-22-2006, 12:33 PM

if there is more then one driver for you're new one, its going to take longer for the transmision to adapt

Old 03-22-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info. I will keep in mind about calling headquarters. That may be my next step. I will wait a bit and see if I get some more suggestions from here too. Thanks again!