New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

1995 Mercury Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Default 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis

Hi folks,

I am Rob in Ft.Worth, TX...Ever since I saw the Marauder I new I would eventually take ownership of my 94 year old grandma's Merc. I am the sole heir and it has sat for 5 years. OMG I have spent a week and about about $1600 getting the car road worthy. Brakes, cruise, ignition, oil, trans, rearend, cooling service. Serpintine belt, new wiper washer pump (a story in itself....but at the end of the day this car hauls a**. I want to add a cold air system and a Police Interceptor ECM...I know the heads on the SOHC 4.6 only flow so well. Dad was a gear head, R.I.P. Dad and so am I. I have been in the same car club 31 years. The Arlington Redliners Street Machine Club. I would love to read some stories of any way to squeeze every inch of horse power out of this 4.6. The car is the epitome of creampuff, runs silky smooth and hauls a** too.

Peace,

Rob

Name:  MercuryMarquis003.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  23.1 KB
Name:  MercuryMarquis003.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  MercuryMarquis004.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  36.7 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MercuryMarquis003.jpg (23.1 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Default '95 Grand Marquis Modifications

Snorkle Removed -- Cold Air Ducted From Forward of Engine Bay.
That's a good-lookin' ride you have there, Rob !!
Suggestion:
Forget the "cold air package" -- MUCH too expensive for the very small gain in hp (K&N claims 6 hp at wide-open throttle) -- besides, K&N doesn't make one for our '95 Mercs.
There's one that's made by "aFe" that looks like it MAY work OK, but it's WAY too expensive for what you get.
Besides, many of the so-called "cold air packages" actually draw heated air from the engine compartment
To get colder air for your '95 Merc's engine:
Remove the air filter box, and take out the "nozzle" from the front of the box.
Install a length of 3.5-inch-diameter aluminum clothes dryer hose, fitting it into the hole in the radiator support and to the front end of the air box (where the "nozzle" was).
Re-install the air filter box and add a K&N 33-2272 air filter. I recommend the K&N because it works when it is WET, which means there is no loss of power or economy when driving in a downpour.
Your stock engine will top out at 110 mph, which will get you arrested in any state, including Texas.
There's no sense in even DREAMING about going faster than that, unless you COMPLETELY modify the suspension, because the stock Grand Marquis suspension wasn't designed for high-performance handling.
I like to cruise at high speeds through the deserts and mountains of Western USA, and have made major mods to the suspension in order to do so.
In my thread titled "95 MERC Grand Marquis Restoration", I list all the part names and part numbers for the modifications.
You might wanna check out my mods for some ideas.
Performance-wise, the most bang for the bucks is had by installing a set of dual exhausts.
The Walker-MagnaFlow 2" dual exhaust system mods yielded 22 hp over the stock exhaust, measured with a G-Tech Pro.
P.S. -- You can't install a "cop chip" from a P-71 -- There is NO SUCH THING !!

Custom Dual Exhaust Exits

Sleeping Beauty, Rolling Thunder

Mallory Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator -- Set to 35 Lbs. @ 750 rpms., Hot Idle.

95 MERC Engine Bay

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis-dual-exhaust.jpg   1995 Mercury Grand Marquis-like-no-other.jpg   1995 Mercury Grand Marquis-differential-girdle.jpg   1995 Mercury Grand Marquis-top-shows-addco-rear-sway-bar.jpg   1995 Mercury Grand Marquis-95-merc-flaming-gorge.jpg  

1995 Mercury Grand Marquis-right-front-brakes.jpg  

Last edited by 95 MERC; 12-05-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Add Content