New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Forum Newbee Wants a Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Default Forum Newbie Wants a Grand Marquis

Hello!
I'm new to this forum and I came here to learn about the Mercury Grand Marquis. I'm 18 and I'm really into these cars (specifically 06-11). The Marauder is also my favorite but there way expensive! Right now I'm trying hard to save enough money to purchase one and I am willing to work my rear off at the job site to earn enough $$ to afford one. I know many refer to them as "old people cars" (my brother) but I love there looks and simplicity. I really look forward to hearing your guys thoughts on these vehicles!

Last edited by NotThePlanetMercury; 07-07-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Misspelled newbie
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 AM
Default Hello, Newbie !!

Hello, and welcome to the Mercury Forums --
I'm the resident geezer here -- at 80 years of age.
I own and drive a restored/modified '95 Grand Marquis, which I bought in '05.
51,000 miles on it when I got it -- 163,500 on it now.
I've done extensive suspension mods, and slight mods to the engine, including Dual Exhausts, Bosch Fuel Injectors, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs, and Modified Air Intake.
Transmission modified with B&M Shift Improver Kit, B&M Drain Plug, and B&M Transmission Cooler.
I restored and modified the '95 MERC for a specific purpose -- long-distance, high-speed touring of the deserts and mountains of the American West, with particular attention to the effects of ambient temps of 110 -120 F. in the low deserts.
Lots of peeps looking for Marauders -- there ain't many of 'em around -- good luck !!

Most young guys wanna go fast and make A LOT of noise -- been there, done that -- it's a stupid waste of time and money.
Forget those expensive and noisy FlowMasters -- the MagnaFlow Glasspacks flow just as well at all speeds, and are MUCH cheaper.
The boys at the burger joint are gonna tell ya that ya gotta have a "Cold Air Intake" -- just more bull**** to get you to part with your hard-earned cash. I run a K&N Filter in the stock air box -- the K&N is the ONLY air filter that works when it's WET, so it's a MUST in rainy climates.

What is the year and model of the Marquis that you're interested in -- and where (city) do you live ??
It's important to consider your climate when choosing a vehicle, due to problems from SALT on the roads, FLOODS destroying the electricals, HEAT that trashes the transmissions, and COLD that accelerates engine wear.
The burger-joint-kids will tell ya to get a colder thermostat -- "because a cold engine makes more power". More bull**** that has NOTHING to do with a street-driven vehicle.
The thermostat designs were changed by the factory over the years. I've found the best all-around performance and fuel mileage comes when a MOTORAD 195-degree t-stat is installed, using a MotorCraft Gasket.
Anyways, I'll help ya in any way I can.

'95 MERC Engine Bay

Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reply' 95 Merc. Not a whole lotta activity here huh? Anyway, I live in Central California and I prefer the Grand Marquis years ranging from '98-'11. I like the older ones too but I don't want something to old. There was a nearly mint '91 for sale down the street from me for $1700 with a hair over 70,000 miles. Later found out it was sold for $700! Too bad though.... (Didn't have the funds for it) Nice Merc you got there by the way, hope she treats you right!

Old 07-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Kinda like a ghost town around here, man -- the Mercury Forums has been hijacked by Middle-Eastern pimps -- can't get rid of them.
Central California, eh !?? That don't tell me anything, but whatever. ;>)
In your search for a good Marquis, I suggest that you go for a 2005 LS -- lots of features that the earlier models didn't have.
At the top of the Forums page, on the right, is a "Used Cars" tab. Click to see a list of Grand Marquis for sale, and study the available features to discover the differences between the years and models.
The '95 MERC is a dinosaur -- but I employed a few decades of automotive knowledge in order to modify the old car for my purposes.
Wife and I use the '95 MERC for our long-distance, high-speed touring of the American West -- in search of Hot Mineral Springs to soak away our cares.
When shopping, go for LOWEST MILES -- Other than body damage or "not running", it's the major concern.
Of course, the very FIRST thing to check is that the vehicle has never been in a FLOOD -- you can dry 'em out, and shine 'em up, but the electronics WILL NOT survive, which means the electronically-controlled transmission may not shift right, or at all.
The '95 MERC is doing real fine, thanks -- It was built when the National Speed Limit was 55, so it came with a 190 HP, single-exhaust.
Walker H-pipe, Dual MagnaFlow Mufflers, Walker Tailpipes bring the power up to 215 HP.
A B&M Shift Kit for quicker shifts, and a B&M Trans Cooler to help handle the desert heat.
Complete Front Suspension rebuild, with hi-performance handling modifications.
Total Brake upgrade, with Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MotorCraft Police Brake Pads, DOT 4 Fluid.
It's not much like a regular '95 Marquis any more -- but I'll run it 'til the wheels fall off !!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the advice 95merc. If ya want me to be more specific, I live in Tracy Ca, just a small City near a whole lot of nothing. Is there anything specific I should look out for when in search for a used Marquis? I've mostly heard of intake manifold defects but only on certain years. How robust are the transmissions? I know the 4.6 is basically bullet proof with basic maintenance. I try to do 99% of the maintenance myself and I drive pretty conservatively so I shouldn't burn up the drivetrain.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Default Shopping for Marquis

OK, I know where Tracy is -- The reason I asked is because Cali is over 1,000 miles long, and has a climate that reflects the differences between Redding and San Diego, for example. You ain't gonna need a Transmission Cooler.;>)
What to look for !??
LOW MILEAGE !! Look for a car with 5,000 miles-per-year, or less. Lots of Geezer Cars out there that haven't been driven hard nor often.
Geezers usually have their cars maintained by a Dealer, so the cars tend to be in better mechanical condition.
TIRES are a big expense, so their condition is of prime importance. Tires must be "98 T" load and speed rating. "S" is unacceptable.
Those Intake Manifold Leaks come in a variety of ways -- some (like mine) leak at the gasket, some (plastic) leak from a rupture.
Which type you have will depend on the Year of Manufacture.
Either one is a headache to repair -- cheaper if YOU do it -- use "Fel-Pro" gaskets.
TRANSMISSION !?? No problem-o !! The stock tranny is smooth and strong, extremely reliable.
The '95 MERC has a B&M 13,000 B.T.U. Transmission Cooler installed to fight the desert heat, a B&M Shift Improver Kit to make the shifts a bit more positive, and a B&M Transmission Drain Plug to make changing the Trans Filter (every 30,000 miles) a bit less messy.
I recommend the MotorCraft Fuel and Transmission Filters.
BATTERY -- Big Deal -- best bang for the buck AND the longest-lasting battery will be found at WAL-MART -- there's one near YOU ! ;>)
ENGINE OIL --Use "Full Synthetic (not blended) ONLY the viscosity that's recommended by FOMOCO -- with NO additives of any kind.
Skip that "Extended Performance" oil -- just change Oil and Filter at 5,000 miles. Use a BOSCH Oil Filter, #3410
I do almost all of the work on my vehicles -- outside, on my back. I'm 80 now, so it ain't all easy -- but it's more recreation than work.
One tool that is an absolute MUST = A Scanner-Code Reader. I have an old ACTRON #CP9145 that works great !!
It would be good to take a Scanner with you to check for any existing codes before buying a vehicle.
The Scanner plugs in under the dashboard, near the ash tray.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 07-15-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: content
Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Hey 95Merc it's been a while. I'm looking at a '10 Grand Marquis with 105,000 miles. Based on the maintenance records, it looks like it was taken really good care of at the dealership (Same dealer from when it was new, now it's being sold used) I took it for a test drive and immediately fell in love. Going back tomorrow to make an offer. What are your thoughts on these year GMs? It's one of the last year's of production so I assume most of the bugs are worked out right?