New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Help! No Heat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Can anyone give me help and tell me what to do? I have a `97 Mercury Mountaineer and the heater has died; the blower works fine but it''s cold air. What can I do that''s not going to cost me an arm and a leg[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 PM

With a fully warmed up engine, check the heater core hoses where they come through the firewall. If one of them is cold the core is plugged and needs to be flushed or replaced.

If both core hoses are the same temp, the temperature blend door actuator has failed.

Both are somewhat expensive (~ $100), and both are a pain in the *** to replace.

The easier of the two is the actuator motor, and is also most likely the problem.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 AM

You can also go to AutoZone and rent there cooling system system checker and check your cooling system along with your radiator cap pressure...take out your thermostat and boil it in a pan of water to see if it works....and check your fluid level...too much anti freeze and your rad water cant boil...no boil , no heat...

WheelMaster [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Did you do any of those thing we mentioned yet? Getting Cold out there you know...club members car!

WheelMaster [img]uploads/WheelMaster/SpinFeast_on_the_lake.jpg[/img]Edited by: WheelMaster

Old 11-03-2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you BFM70 and WheelMaster.....I''m still having problems with out heat for my Mountaineer, the different places that I''ve gone to with your information has helped and there hasn''t been a cost, but still no answers. Some seem to think it''s the switch itself because as they go under the dash there is heat but it''s not pushing up & out. I have about 2% (ok that''s to high....1% is better) when the blower is on full blast and the selection is on window defrost [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]; so very strange....hopefully before the coldsets in I''ll have an answer or a plug in heater. Meanwhile I''m still in searching for that answer but thanks again forthe information thus far.

I''m glad I found you guys....

Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM

According to autozones website, the blend door actuator is $15.99. If you remove the stereo head unit you should be able to reach teh actuator up on the firewall. You''ll at least be able to tell if it''s working or not when you change the temperature setting.