Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Need performance advice for Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:49 AM
Default Need performance advice for Monte Carlo

Maybe some of you experts can point me in the right direction here: I have an 05 Monte Carlo SS that is nearly stock. So far I have installed the basic first-level mods: CAI kit, 3.4 pulley and 180 degree thermostat. My next objective is an Intense PCM. My goal for the car is to eventually run in the high 12s to low 13s in the 1/4 mile. I understand that there are a lot of variables, and that each car is different, but I'm wondering what you guys recommend for me to be in the ballpark. The car will still be a daily driver, so I don't want to run nitrous or anything too tough on the engine to reach the 12s. If I were to go with headers and 1.9 rockers, what kind of performance increase should I expect from what I have now? Could I reasonably expect to reach my goal without rebuilding the engine?

What performance upgrades would you guys recommend to make it into the 12s without sacrificing my engine's durability? Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM
Default Monte Carlo Mods

I don't wanna be a Party-Pooper, but your wanting to get into the low 12s with a "Daily Driver" is an overly-ambitious project, 'cause it takes a lot of work AND a lot of cash to make that happen, and probably can't be done while meeting the California Smog Regs. (Santa Clara, CA, right?)
The CAI Kit will not shorten your 1/4th-mile time even 1/10th of a second.
The Short Pulleys won't either, but the two mods together MIGHT give a 10th of a second. If your rig has Air Conditioning, the short pulleys will reduce the efficiency of your A/C unit, so there may be a penalty on hot days.
The 180 Thermostat is a bad idea for a Daily Driver -- confuses the computer and shortens engine life !
You want to get into the 12s -- what is your PRESENT 1/4th-mile time?? You MUST have a baseline time in order to measure the "improvements" as the modifications are added.
Good Luck, and keep us posted on your improvements.

'95 MERC Engine Bay