Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2002 Mercury Sable Electrical - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:50 PM

My 2002 Mercury Sable only a little over 38,000 miles on the car is experiencing an intermittent problem.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

The first time my problem occurred was during a snow storm in mid-December 2005 I was driving and about 20-30 minutes into my trip I heard a pop in my radio like static the fuel and abs lights appeared the interior and exterior lights dimmed and the car got sluggish. All of this lasted about 10 seconds accept the lights they lasted about a minute or two and then everything popped back to normal. It did this for the last hour of my trip in 5-10 minute intervals. It was also stop and go traffic and I had my wipers, headlights, radio, defroster and rear defroster were running. I drove it to my mechanic and the car never did it the next day and no codes where found diagnostically.

Since then the problem has occurred intermittently about once or twice a week usually gas and abs light pop on and disappear right away. But, I have also noticed that the gas gauge will dip from a full tank down to half and then it will very slowly crawl back up to full.

The car has been in and out of three shops and nothing is showing up diagnostically, it has only stalled once during this time and it started right back up. Also, the problem never occurs on the highway, it is always in stop and go traffic. The worst it has occurred was during the snow storm but I have driven it through sleet and heavy rain and it has never occurred during the wet weather since.

Can someone please help, very frustrated with this situation.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:13 AM

WHICH MOTORDO YOUHAVE THE 12 VALVE OR 24 VALVE?THIS WAY I MIGHT BE ABLE TO POINT YOU IN A DIRECTION

Old 01-19-2006, 11:27 PM

VICKI,

WISH I COULD HELP YOU, BUT I HAVE A 99 SABLE WITH 59,000 MILES AND IT IS DOING THE SAME THING AS YOURS. IF ANY ONE CAN HELP VICKI AND I PLEASE TRY.

MAINTENANCE MAN

Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 AM

&lt; =&gt; <!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//--></>First and foremost, sounds to me like we have already had a reply by a mechanic. Yes I am talking to you Mr. Engine Type. I say this because I as well have had repeated electrical problems INSIDE THE DASH and have first hand experience with the supposed engineer for the dealership going directly under the hood, instead of under the dash. Nevermind the fact that the engineer was stupified when he came across the anti-corrosion device installed by the dealer we bought the car from.

Now to the lady experiencing problems with her Sable. My first recommended step for you would be to find out if the cowl piece on your car has been repaired/replaced as directed by the "silent" recall. As it is a silent recall, you would not have been notified that there was even a defect with your car and the dealer might have repaired it without informing you, although I doubt it. Second, if you are having repeated electrical problems with your car that are not being addressed by the local dealer try to find another dealer within reasonable distance that might be willing to take a second look. If this is not possible then my final advice to you would be to go to the dealership and get the proper information for you to contact the BBB and possibly either look into the manufacturer providing and extended warranty or even having to buy the car back from you. However, if the extended warranty is anything like they tried to offer us you should just pursue the buy back option.
< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>Edited by: jobby_j78

Old 01-24-2006, 06:22 PM

To all of you who replied thank you.

Just to give you an update. I took the car to my local mechanic, he had it for the first week of January and by Friday 1/6/06we decided to pull out the automatic start (he saw it as the only common denominator) that a few other mechanics kept talling me wasn't the problem to just leave it in. Since then (knock on wood) the car has not done it again. Anyone with this problem who has an automatic start might want to try this as I am hoping this has cured the problem.