New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

2002 Mercury Sable Electrical - Help!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM

My 2002 Mercury Sable only a little over 38,000 miles on the car is experiencing an intermittent problem.

The first time my problem occurred was during a snow storm in mid-December 2005 I was driving and about 20-30 minutes into my trip I heard a pop in my radio like static the fuel and abs lights appeared the interior and exterior lights dimmed and the car got sluggish. All of this lasted about 10 seconds accept the lights they lasted about a minute or two and then everything popped back to normal. It did this for the last hour of my trip in 5-10 minute intervals. It was also stop and go traffic and I had my wipers, headlights, radio, defroster and rear defroster were running. I drove it to my mechanic and the car never did it the next day and no codes where found diagnostically.

Since then the problem has occurred intermittently about once or twice a week usually gas and abs light pop on and disappear right away. But, I have also noticed that the gas gauge will dip from a full tank down to half and then it will very slowly crawl back up to full.

The car has been in and out of three shops and nothing is showing up diagnostically, it has only stalled once during this time and it started right back up. Also, the problem never occurs on the highway, it is always in stop and go traffic. The worst it has occurred was during the snow storm but I have driven it through sleet and heavy rain and it has never occurred during the wet weather since.

Can someone please help, very frustrated with this situation.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:39 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Hi I have almost the same issue with my 2002 mercury sable. Where you able to fix it?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 PM

I wish I knew the cause of your dilemma.

Intermittant electrical problems of this nature are some of the most difficult to repair. And the difficulty of exhibiting the problem to your tech is frustrating.

About the best you can do is what you ALREADY are doing, except perhaps more intently:

Make note to the very best of your ability cause and effect, and report your findings to your tech.

I agree with your (implicit) thinking that heavy electrical system loading could be a trigger. Also agree moisture could be a trigger.

You did not say whether your car is garaged, and if so whether your garage is heated. This would be helpful to know. A heated garage can be a wonderful antidote for moisture-related failures. But of course I realize in this day and age a heated garage is a luxury.

Your problem could easily be because of chafing inside a wire harness, or because of the impact of corrosion somewhere in your electrical system. In either event locatiing such a failure can be extremely difficult.

One thing to consider is to take your car for service to a good auto electric shop, instead of taking it to the dealer. But be it at a dealer or at such a shop, the skill, knowledge, and perseverance of the tech will be critically important to finding a solution for you.

Choose really carefully!

Good luck.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]