Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Horn not working

Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Default Horn not working

Have a 93 Sable and I can't get the horn to work. I did the two obvious repairs, replacing the fuse first (it wasn't blown but I did it anyway) and then I replaced the actual horn itself. Still no luck. The only things left would be the wiring or the switch on the steering wheel right? I was at the salvage yard the other day and removed the horn pad (which was connected to the airbag as well) from a car on the lot just to look at it, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing that on my car. I have to assume the horn switch is in between the pad and the airbag. Is this something I am able to diagnose/replace without causing the airbag to blow up?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Before you do that, have you checked the horn relay which should be in the engine compartment fuse box?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Thanks Bulldozer - I checked the engine compartment fuse box but the diagram in there said nothing about the horn (it didn't have any relays at all in there actually, just fuses), so I went back to the fuse box under the steering wheel and the horn relay was actually in there. Popped it out and I will have to find a way to test it to see if that's the problem. To another problem that may or may not be related, the battery won't hold a charge. It's a brand new battery and it worked fine when I first installed it several weeks ago, but when I went to look at the fuses tonight, sure enough, I noticed the battery was dead. I haven't touched the car since I installed the new battery, so I have to assume either the alternator is bad or something is draining the battery. I know there are no lights still on when all the doors are closed, so is there another way to check what could be draining the battery?