Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Mercurys, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Started bodywork on girlfriends car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM

wow awesome im one of 2 grand marquis around my area but i call mine the general also just wanted to ask you if i put a straight pipe with no resonators and hollow cats and with or with out flow-master 44's am i going to burn my engine ive herd my friend say that but i never herd that just wanted to get you expert advice P.S wish i had a girl friend who loves grand marquis every one looks at it like its old

Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

i would try the junkyard for a H pipe from a TownCar, Grand Marq, or a Crown Vic with dual exhaust... you will let the car breathe easier doing what you want, but wont sound right being straight pipe. some back pressure helps with the torque to get these cars moving. reason the X pipe is less restrictive, but less torque compared to a H pipe... my 2 door i am building up will have BBK shorty headers connected to a BBK offroad X pipe that i already have and stowed away. to give the car a lil lower tone to the engine, also get a CAI like what i have and find a HO upper plenum from a mustang or mark7 and put on. it helps the breathing and exhaust will help exhale. too much exhaling from the car will cause loss or torque but wont hurt engine.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM

k great thanks cause now i have my headers my cat and thats it the rest fell off when i was getting on the highways and i gave her **** then CLANG but ever since that its starting to burn ALLOT of oil guess its the exhaust

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

well... here is an update... girlfriend will be driving my car over weekend and wants me to take her car to friends to do more bodywork. she wants passenger side finished and roof if possible. last couple days while she was off wwork, it was raining. over the weekend it is supposed to be nice with next chance of rain being tuesday or wednesday next week.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 PM

cool im thinking of a paint scheme for my grand marquis all the doors and roof white the rest black ill try to make it look like a cop car with the lights and sounds

Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

well, the girlfriends car is in 95% primer. still have to get a few lil areas sanded and primed. Friday May 15th it is getting new vinyl put on. i have the chrome removed to save on cost for the vinyl guy and will be pulling the vinyl and prepping for the new top. also have paint purchased. the original paint was code 2H. we went with 2G since it is exact same color except has metal flake added to paint. it was same price to have that upgrade as to get the original color. the car will look like a dark sparkling red wine when finished. i will have to wait for rain to let up and i will get pictures of the car stripped of the chrome and vinyl. in about 2 weeks, the car should be painted hopefully.

on a side note, the guy helping the girlfriend and me with the work offered me a job doing bodywork since he likes my attention to detail. he said it would be like college but getting paid instead of paying. another benefit from the job is he said i could work on my own car.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM

awesome looks good cant wait for the new paint job and i love the bottle of mountain due hahah you do very good work

Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

well... i have started block sanding the car. wont be long till paint is put on... the car also has new vinyl on. below are pictures... you can see my tan Grand Marquis in the background and my girlfriend sons brown Grand Marquis

Name:  S6300969.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  S6300970.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  79.9 KB

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...3&d=1242482320

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachme...1&d=1242482320

Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM

they did a great job with the vinyl. my 88 sure could use some new paint, vinyl, interior upholstry, dash, ... ok... all the cosmetics. The only problem with that is I can't get the door mouldings any more for this one and the clips are extinct. dern one-off year.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM

WoW look really good like the color of the car and vinyl

Quick Reply: Started bodywork on girlfriends car...