Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

‘95 Grand Marquis No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 08:07 PM
Default ‘95 Grand Marquis No Start

Hi so my ‘95 Marquis has a gremlin I think. First was a no start, checked and found it to be starter. New starter/solenoid installed all good. Few months later it would turn over when it felt like. Full dash/lights etc but turn key and no crank. Sent back in, put new positive battery terminal and shop replaced solenoid. Ran ok for a few weeks and started right back to starting when it felt like. Then nothing...lights, dash all there but turn key and zip. Tow truck driver jumped the starter and got it going. Now battery, starter/solenoid are new. Today thought neutral safety switch so installed new one...nothing. Like this car too much to give in so has anyone else come across this kinda problem?

Old 11-15-2020, 09:26 AM
Default '95 Marquis - No Start

Originally Posted by Galaxieboy
Hi so my ‘95 Marquis has a gremlin I think. First was a no start, checked and found it to be starter. New starter/solenoid installed all good. Few months later it would turn over when it felt like. Full dash/lights etc but turn key and no crank. Sent back in, put new positive battery terminal and shop replaced solenoid. Ran ok for a few weeks and started right back to starting when it felt like. Then nothing...lights, dash all there but turn key and zip. Tow truck driver jumped the starter and got it going. Now battery, starter/solenoid are new. Today thought neutral safety switch so installed new one...nothing. Like this car too much to give in so has anyone else come across this kinda problem?
You found a bad starter, and had it replaced. Worked OK for a while, and then crapped out again. "Shop" replaced solenoid, but WHY??
The solenoid is very difficult to remove from the OEM starter -- it's MUCH easier to replace the starter and solenoid as a unit.
Your "new" starter may have been of poor quality, since the "new" solenoid failed after a short time. Most shops use "service quality" parts, or "rebuilt" parts, which don't measure up to ""Top Quality" standards. The OEM (Motorcraft) starter/solenoid combo is the preferred replacement.
When replacing the starter on The 95 MERC, I chose a BOSCH starter/solenoid combo -- for it's observable quality and workmanship, and the Bosch starter has performed flawlessly under a variety of conditions. BOSCHSR7533NStarter -- RockAuto.com & Amazon.com -- I got mine from Amazon at an excellent price.
However, if we give The Shop the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they installed a new, quality starter, we need to look elsewhere.
A common Marquis starting problem can be solved with replacement of the Ignition Switch, but first, a hack may fix the problem:
Insert the nozzle of a can of WD-40 into the ignition switch key opening, and spray into the keyhole for 5 seconds. Hold a paper towel under the switch to catch the excess (it's dirty), wait a minute before another 5-second spray.
Your ignition switch is now cleaned and lubricated -- and your starting problem MAY be gone. The hack has worked for me MANY times, and is well worth a try.
One other thing: A battery terminal was replaced. Generally, not a good idea -- change the entire CABLE, as corrosion often extends into the cable's insulation where it can't be SEEN, but still does it's dirty work.
In any case, let us know how you make out.
Good Luck !!

95 MERC Engine Bay

Last edited by 95 MERC; 11-15-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:15 PM

That is one clean engine and compartment spotless!

Old 04-04-2021, 07:12 AM

Thank you kindly and muchly !!
I try to keep 'er clean and neat -- but she's getting a bit long in the tooth, with 170,000 miles on the clock.
Still running clean, neat, fast, and cheap -- with many more journeys to go.

'95 MERC at Flaming Gorge, Utah.