Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2009 grand marquis transmission plug and filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 PM

If you check Rock Auto and look at the position of the drainplugs on the aftermarket pans with the drainplug facing to the rear, road clearance is not going to be an issue.The plug is not hanging down at all where it can get caught on something.I would leave your stock pan as is before I would go and install a drainplug on it and risk the possibility of a leak.
As far as spark plugs go, stick with the Motorcraft. If the Bosch were so good, wouldn't you think Ford would have them as OEM instead of Motorcraft??? Don't listen to the Bosch sales rep lurking in the darkness pushing Bosch products all the time..He has no facts to prove his reasoning just his imaginative opinion which is nonsense..Just a bunch of Bosch sales information.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...c,oil+pan,8546

Last edited by raski; 12-05-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 PM
Default Pan

Bought the pan from rock auto, skip sk265813 maybe 1/16 loss of ground clearance if that! 20 bucks! Great choice

Old 12-05-2019, 03:57 AM

Good choice and is sure better than some universal drill and pray drain plug kit.That thing would be leaking all over the place and snagging everything on the road! From the pics, I doubt there is even a 1/16 inch on the aftermarket pans..
I hope you make the best choice on spark plugs and not fall for "fake information" from some phoney Bosch sales information.

Last edited by raski; 12-05-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Happy New Year !!
Ya done good by getting that Trans Pan (with Drain Plug installed) from RockAuto. There is NO better option.
My concern with the ground clearance was because our Trans Pans are different (which I didn't know) -- mine is completely FLAT on the bottom, which necessitates mounting the Drain Plug on the BACK of the pan, so there's NO LOSS of ground clearance at all. And no leaks, either.
With yours, it is what it is -- ground clearance be damned -- at least, you got a drain plug.
As for those Spark Plugs -- people have their "favorites" , and for different reasons.
I chose the Bosch # 9605 after extensive research and years of experience with that particular Plug, installed in that particular engine, which is almost identical to yours.
At 165,000 miles on the 95 MERC, I have run just three (3) brands of Plugs -- MotorCraft, Denso, and the Bosch # 9605. The MotorCraft plugs were properly installed, but failed prematurely, and left me stranded in Crapville, Idaho. A mechanic installed a set of Densos, which got me home. After installing the Bosch Double-Iridiums, I checked them at 40,000 miles -- coloration indicates that all are firing perfectly, and show NO signs of electrode erosion.
At 165,000 miles, the Annual Smog Test was passed with flying colors, indicating a trouble-free, smooth-running engine.
The MotorCraft Plugs are made by AutoLite, which is currently owned by Fram. The Motorcraft plugs are of "OEM" quality, but there are better choices.
AutoLite does not make a double-iridium design, as does Bosch, and I find the AutoLite's workmanship to be inferior to the German-made Bosch.
Your engine has the Coil-On-Plug ignition, and uses the Bosch # 9606, gapped @ .054.
Despite what you may have read, I have NOTHING to do with the Bosch Corporation, I'm not in the automotive retail business, and I don't own stock in the company.
It's just that I have extensive mechanical training and have accumulated automotive knowledge over several decades, and certainly have the ability to discern between advertised products -- unlike those wanna-bes that demand details while offering nothing but vague generalities and uninformed wise-cracks.
After I've recovered from Lasik eye surgery, I'll be changing Trans Filter and Fluid, and replacing the Intake Manifold Gaskets with a premium Fel-Pro 4-piece set -- Part # FEL-PRO MS98007T1 "Permadry Plus".
Stay safe and drive carefully -- the life you save may owe me money !!

Last edited by 95 MERC; 04-05-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Update Content
Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 PM
Default Pump out

Would it be safe to pump ATF out from the dipstick hole?

Old 02-07-2020, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jhdiez
Would it be safe to pump ATF out from the dipstick hole?
Unfortunately, you would be overlooking the equally important filter change, pan and debris magnet cleaning. Pumping fluid out the dip stick would be a good follow up after a recent pan drop to get more new fluid into the transmission. If the pan has never been removed, you could buy an aftermarket pan with a drain plug and that would make things easier and less messy in the future.

Last edited by raski; 02-07-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by raski
Unfortunately, you would be overlooking the equally important filter change, pan and debris magnet cleaning. Pumping fluid out the dip stick would be a good follow up after a recent pan drop to get more new fluid into the transmission. If the pan has never been removed, you could buy an aftermarket pan with a drain plug and that would make things easier and less messy in the future.
thank you. Will do that!