Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

98 G 91k Coolant Smell after intake change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 AM
Question 98 G 91k Coolant Smell after intake change.

Just changed intake manifold due to mutiple cracks both in plastic coolant crossover and at heater core supply. Been fighting with misfires in 1 5 and 6. Noticed one of the water jacket ports rear drivers side looking at intake gasket on OEM looks to have failed completly but without external leaking. unsure as to where it was going i though all the leaking was coming from water outlet/tstat housing and heater hose, possibly leaking into intake ports? not a cylinder that ever misfired. But i digress. new manifold in checked THOROUGHLY no leaks found. My misfire has returned after about 50 miles on new intake not enough to produce code but i can feel it , believe its time to replace COPs since plugs are new and boots inspected and liberally greased with dielectric silicone grease. learned that after 3 months running no thermostat now with new intake new thermostat radiator fan doesnt work possible short in harness or motor i can tap or wiggle harness and make it come on. began to get warm yesterday and started getting strong coolant smell outside vehicle. dont believe heater core is comprimised as i have been using excessivly as radiator (blocked main to get car to warm up with no tstat and ran heater )

any one have any ideas as to something im missing ive gone over every inch of coolant system shy of stripping dash to get at heater core and no visible leaks found i keep smelling coolant. I plan to address radiator fan issue as soon as i can get parts she doesnt over heat or even get above norm while moving maybe this will help my diet and keep me away from drive thrus cause thats what got her warm yesterday was a trip to MCD's. COPS will have to wait till next month already parts poor with intake and now fan

Appreciate it guys if i left out any info let me know