Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

99 MGM intermittant start

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM

Hi all,

I''m new to this MGM forum and looking for some info on the location of the ''crank sensor'' and its connection under the hood.. My sister''s99MGM engine willoccasionally turn over but not start.I had this type of problem on a Jeep and found checking and cleaningthe''crank sensor'' connector( which sends an electricalsignal to the computer to tell it to provide a voltageto the spark plugs ) wasthe solution to the problem. MGM engines may use another term for this sensor if itis used.I''d appreciate any comments on where that type of sensor is located and where the connector is located so that the sensor can be tested ( the Jeep sensor needed to be about 200 ohms) and the connector terminals cleaned.Hopefully that may solve her problem.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM

There is a pulse wheel mounted on the crankshaft....The CKP will be mounted adjacent to it. There are three different styles of crank sensors, normally mounted at about the 10 o''clock position on the front of the crank.

If the 99 has coil on plug ignition then it may also have a camshaft position sensor. It could cause the same symptoms.

Edited by: BFM70

Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 AM

Hi BFM70,

Thanks for your reply. That info is quite helpful, especially the comment about the coil on plug ignition.I''ll have to tell my sister about that because it will affect how she can use the ''spark tester'' I recently gave her.I drive older cars ( 89 Jeep Cherokee and a 91 Lincoln with a 4.6L engine ( for which I have the service manuals ). My sister''s MGM has a 4.6L engineand I thought the engines might be quite similar to my Lincoln, but evidently therewere changes to improve the engineover the years which I need to learn about if I''m going to help her with it. Thanks a gain for your response.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:41 PM

You are quite welcome. Post back when you figure it all out.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]