Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Default A/C not working

I have a 96 grand marquis and the I have the digital ac control panel. And for some reason it will not switch from heat when I try to turn the ac on. Can anyone give me advise on this?? I have even put it on 60 max ac and still all heat.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:13 PM

Sounds like a blend door problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM

Air cooling which can do numerous stuff can provide more chillness

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM

The air conditioning in my Grand Marquis is no longer functional, either (though, mine is for a different reason: I have multiple leaks in the coolant lines and I believe that the compressor is shot.).

However, in your case, it could be a few problems that are preventing you from using the air conditioning. I shall list these possibilities below:
  • Faulty or Broken Blower Motor - You may have a blower motor which does not function properly. Therefore, assuming that all of the other components in your system are properly functioning, when you go to switch over from heat to air conditioning (or if you just try to turn on the air conditioning without switching over from anything), it will not work.
  • Issues With the Electrical System - Nowadays, everything in a vehicle is electrically controlled - from transmissions, to engine timing - it gets more and more complicated as the years progress. The same goes for the heating and cooling system. ESPECIALLY if you've got a digital control panel. You may have a blown fuse; malfunction with the panel itself (which is not highly probable, seeing as all other functions work); or anything else in this same category.
  • The Compressor, Condenser, and/or Evaporator - I believe my car has suffered the same fate with one of these components. You may have an issue with either the compressor; condenser; and/or the evaporator. An issue with just one of these components can mess-up your air conditioning.
  • Leaks or Broken Lines/Hoses - As with my car, if you have a crack, hole, or some other sort of defect, it may be causing you to leak coolant. Ergo, when you go to turn on your air conditioning, and there is no cold air coming out, you may have no coolant left in your system.

I hope any one of these answers helps you out. I know how frustrating that a broken A/C system can be (I still have yet to rectify MY system)! Prices to repair this sort of stuff all depends on what's broken and who you take it to. Obviously, if you take it to a dealership, you will be charged a premium, versus if you take it to a local or independent mechanic.

Also, here are a few links to some videos on YouTube which can help you further identify any issues you may have. The man's name is Scotty Kilmer - and he has been a mechanic for the past 40+ years now, and has LOADS of experience dealing with this stuff.

"Fixing a Car Air Conditioner that Blows Hot Air" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5xfV...feature=relmfu

"How to Replace Your AC Compressor" - (This one shows you how to tell if your compressor is bad) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ULci...feature=relmfu

Hope this helps!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Thumbs up Mode door...

It's called the 'mode door actuator', & it needs replacing. It probably has a worn gear which keeps the door (under the dash above the floor 'hump') from switching from heat to AC. Will cost app. $300 as the dash will have to be removed, the part will cost about $4 but worth about 65 cents.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 PM

I agree with the post sthat the Blend Door, or Actuator is most likely your cause of inoperable AC.

As others have posted, this is a $16 part that costs $300 to replace.

Have a nice day, Bill

Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM

It probably has a worn gear which keeps the door from switching from heat to AC.

Last edited by Jimmijackson; 05-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM

I should be for the blend door problem, you may have to replace it.