Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Engine Replace & Rejuvinate

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Default Engine Replace & Rejuvinate

I'm a new member and I have a 1988 Grand Marquis/Colony Park wagon. It has been sitting for two years due to an oil pump seize and problably bent valve stems - motor is locked. At that time I got the same type 5.0L motor out of a 1987 Colony Park that had a shot transmision but the motor ran. So now due to a shortage of other transportation, I plan to put the 87 motor in the 88 wagon.
I realize I will need to clean out the gas tank and maybe the fuel injection rails? I have never done an engine swap before, so does anyone have some tips on what to look out for or potential problem areas on getting this car running again after two years? I'd hate to just junk it for scrap!
I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

i have taken these big cars and added fresh gas to them and fire them up... i have bought a few that sat for 4 plus years. i would do oil change, coolant, tune up, fuel filter, and also plan on getting front calipers since they like to seize up after sitting so long

Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info 87 Crown Vic! Yes, I will have to double check the brakes after I get the car running. It is encouraging to know you have gotten this type of a car to run after sitting so long. I had my doubts if it was really worth all the work & sweat that it will take. I guess there isn't much difference, if any, between a 1987 and 1988 5.0 L motor?

Thanks again,
Bruce

Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Valve cover gaskets would be a good thing to do before installing into the car. I dont know what kind of tools you have access to but these 5.0L motors are easy to work on and parts are readily accessible. If you plan to have the car on the road for awhile, a timing chain and sprocket set, water pump, thermostat and all required gaskets (Timing cover set, intake manifold gasket set)Fel-Pro gaskets are very user friendly.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 AM

not much difference at all between an 87 and 88 302 EFI motor in these cars. They both use the E6 high swirl heads, same firing order, 14lb injectors, same intakes and belt configurations. Your good to go!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

if you do the timing chain and stuff to your car, you might have to adjust the timing..... there is a certain way to do this... there is a thing called a spout connector... it is located close to where the distributor bolts down. it looks like a wire with a slide out type jumper about the size of 2 chicklets side by side. you have to have that pulled out to adjust timing to about 12 degrees is where most people find out works best. 10 degrees is stock but you can run the timing to 12-14 degrees ... after the timing is done, reinsert the spout connector

Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info Beast 50 and 87 Crown Vic! I know you are right on the money about changing out the thermostat, water pump, and timing chain. I previously did all that myself, on the old blown engine! So I had planed to do the thermostat, sparkplugs & wires, but I will probably wait on the timing chain, for now (I might regret that later) because my wife is going to have it towed away (neighbors complaining) if I don't get it mobile with the other motor in it soon!
That is interesting about the timing, I didn't know you could adjust it on this motor!

Thanks, I apreciate the advice. If I encounter problems along the way I will post them.
Bruce

Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

by removing the spout connector, it sets engine to base timing... with the spout plugged in it allows the engine to adjust timing as necessary, but will be off if timing isnt set right

Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Default Drop-in hour.

It took a long time and a lot of labeling electrical connections but I finally pulled out the old seized motor. Now I'm ready to drop the replacement motor in. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on how to properly align-up the converter pilot to the crankshaft? And even-though it's a different motor should I still match up the paint dabs on the converter and the flywheel?
Thanks for your comments and help!

Bruce88ColonyPark

Last edited by Bruce 88ColonyPark; 05-05-2011 at 02:53 PM.