Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

newbie needs alittle help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Default newbie needs alittle help....

good morning, i purchased a 92 marquis yesterday with 22,000 org. miles

the car hard been sitting for approx 4 years.. I did everything one would normally have done prior to starting a car after sitting for so long.. So far so good the starter froze and with a tap of a hammer ,she began to come back to life...

My only issue is the rear brake line...from the driverside rear the line , I believe ?, crosses over to the pass.side in between the fuel tank and trunk.( the line is rubber).. Directly in the middle of the line, dryrotted i think, it split..i cant see whether or not the line goes straight to the other side or does anyone know if there are any fittings in that area...??

the system is non abs..im assuming powerbrakes ???? if so, am i able to just cut bothsides of the line and snake a new peice of rubber brake line thru and then reassemble??

thank you in advance for any help, options or suggestion that anyone can offer to help me keep this baby alive..

Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Your best bet would be to replace the complete section. Don't try to patch it. But yes, fix the line, bleed the brakes and you should be good to go. You may want to replace the other rubber sections to the other brakes too so you'll be sure to not have other lines break open while on the road.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 AM

As stated before, you should defenately replace the complete section.

Not only because of safety (I don't care if someone kills themselfs, but I do care about inoccent bystanders), but because of not having AntiLockBrakes.

The first MGM's built in '92 incorporated many components from the earlier models till they switched more and more later.

Not having AntiLockBrakes means you could have drums in the rear (you still have power assisted brakes though). They contain a cylinder inside, this system works differently from disk brakes which you have up front.

So defenately have the whole section replaced. Don't worry, it wont cost that much. From 1992 on, most parts are identical all the way through 2005.

And if you want to get carried away, you can convert to disk brakes. I personally prefer the drums in the rear, after all, they do the minor work and remain immediate effective at a high rate even when it is wet.

Greetings!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:47 AM

Your car could have either a diagonally split system or a front rear split system...

The diagonally split system was mostly on cars with rear discs... There should be a rubber line coming off the steel line on the body to the caliper/wheel cylinder on each wheel.. These rubber lines are purchased as an assembly so you'll have to replace the whole thing.. I would highly recomend replcing both as they are both well aged..

The front rear split system was mostly on cars with rear drum brakes.
On this system there would be one rubber line from the steel line on the body with a T on the end bolted to the axle.. Then coming out of the T there would be steel line going to the wheel cylinder/caliper.. Once again this is replaced as an assembly..

You may also want to inspect the front rubber lines as they are just as aged, and get quite a bit of abuse from steering and such.. It would also be recomended to inspect all the steel lines, especially the one running along the frame rails to the rear.. If the car saw alot of salt, or sat outside they can get rusty.. 92 is still early enough that they didn;t have alot of trouble, but from about 95 - 2000 all the American car companies used some pretty cheapo steel line that woudl rust quickly (replaced them on my 96 MGM at under 80K miles)