Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

99 Sable will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Talking 99 Sable will not start

Alright lets start from the begining here. My friend has a 99 that where desperately trying to get started, now the battery started to go out (or so we thought) because the car started starting very slow. So we got a new battery, no big deal right since it was like 6 years old. Well I noticed that the positive cable running from the battery to the starter the wires had decided to slide 85% of the way out of the terminal connector, which I assumed was causing the slow start. Replaced with all new terminal connections for the posive terminal and a new starter cable. Now we get nothing, not even a click from the starter. Its almost like your starting it in drive (NSS) imobilizing the starter, tried switching between neutral and and park no changes, Reverse light works, all the interior goodies work. Tried jump starting it, all lights are bright as can be but still no start..

Im trying to figure out where to go next, after trying to start it several times I notice the solenoid gets warm/hot. I have checked the grounds and cleaned up the connections from the starting circuit.

Autozone doesnt seem to carry just a solenoid, does anyone have any other ideas or how to test the ignition switch, All are troubles began when we chose to replace the battery and that starter cable loosened from the battery connector.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM

Even when the imobilizer is working, the engine shoudl still at least crank.. There should be a fuse in the battery junction box under the hood, and one in the interior fuse panel as well.. Make sure they both are in good repair...

Next step woudl be to check the relay in the battery junction box (underhood)... Remove the relay and take note that the 4 or 5 pins underneath are numbered.. IF it has the 5th pin (in the center #87a) that one is not used....

You'll need a test light and a small jumper wire..

In the socket in the junction box check and see if there is battery + at the respective slot for pin #30.. This woudl be the power feed from the big fuse in the junction box.. Next with the aid of an assistant check for battery + at the respective slot for pin #86 while your assistant turns the ignition switch to the start position.. This would be the power feed through the neutral safety switch and the fuse inside the car... If good so far now check for a ground at the respective slot for pin #85.. If still checking good using a small jumper wire jump the pins in the socket for #30 and #87.. This should make the engine crank... If it cranks, and all the other stuff checks okay the relay is bad.. If it doesn;t you either have a wiring problem to the starter, or a bad starter....

At the starter make sure the small wire is connected to the solenoid and not corroded... The connectors here were known to give trouble from time to time...