Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

I need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:34 PM

Hi everybody,

i come new to Canada and have buy me a 96 Mercury Sable.
And few Weeks is everything is okay but now he lost the Gear''s on the Traffic light???
I have no Idea why?

And when the Car stands on parking area and i come couples of minutes back he doesn''t work.
I can''t get start the Car.He goes on but i can''t get in the Gears?

What can i do??? I need my Car.
Make it sense to bring it in the Workshop?

I really hope you can understand what i write.
I can cry about this i live alone in the Country and i have no Idea from Cars.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
But i need help.

Thanks for Comments

Regards
Tanja

Sorry for my bad English, I speak better that i write

Old 08-31-2008, 07:02 PM

Hello, It is always good to here from our canada friends.

is the car running?

Is you question that you are having problems with your transmission?

Do you have a stick shift car or a automatic?

it sounds like you are describing a bad clutch if you have a stick shift car. Please answer the questions I asked so i can help you fix the car.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Hello,

i have a Automatic and it goes when he is Cold.
When i drive a few minutes and the Car is warm then he lost the Gear.And when i stand on a traffic light and i have green i can kick the gas pedal and the Car do nothing.
And when i park the Car then it doesn''t drive so long if he get cold.
Then i must wait a very long time that i can Start and put the gearshift in position.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM

check you transmission fluid. if low add the correct kind that it says on the dipstick. it will tell you merc3 for example on the dipstick or you can check the service manual. It sounds like the fluid is low or you need a fluid change. The trans fluid might be getting hot and loosing its function. you can also have a clogged trans filter.

how many miles are on the car? have you ever got the transfluid changed?

Get the trans fluid changed. get a service that changes all the fluid. this will included them changing the fluid in the torque converter. It is very important that the do a purge fluid change on this. The car should be fixxed then because the new fluid will not get hot as quick as it did before. Also, with me not really understanding your english, you might just want to bring the car in.

So you have a choice to make, check the fluid,get the trans fluid purge changed and save some money, OR bring it in and have them take a look at it. I really think you just need the fluid changed. If this is your only car you should do one of these things right away before you cause more dammage and then you willneed a new trans if you do not get this fixxed.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM

when you said you"stop at a trafic light and it does not go when you press on the gas pedal" does the car sound like it is going fast but it is not moving? This is called you car is giving high RPM''s. Is this what the car is doing when you mean it is not going after it gets hot? Or does the car shut off ? I need to know if the car is still running but when you press on the gas pedal all you hear is the motor running and the car is moving very slowly.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Hello Jason,

sorry for my English but i come for 4 Month from Germany to Canada and it is hard for me to write this in English sorry for that.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Yes thats right the RPM''s get high when he stand on the Traffic Light and the Transmission change not in the first gear.And yes the Car is moving very slow.

I must pull out trans fluid because there was to much into it.
But this was not the Problems from the Car.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Hi Tanja, I think you are suffering from the defective transaxles Mercury installed in their vehicles in the mid to late 90''s. Actually the Ford Motor Co. had huge problems with many of their transmissions with electronic O/D. You have a push button on the shifter for overdrive right? I hate to say you will need the "workshop" as you say. I''m hoping it won''t cost alot, but trans work always does. So prepare yourself just in case. It''s too bad they did not make a standard Sable, it would so much easier to make a diagnosis and alot cheaper to fix. It seems that alot of people in Canada are writing in lately. Our Mercurys are falling apart up there! LOL!! Good luck and keep us informed or if you have more ?''s don''t hesitate to write. Do you know a good mechanic? What happens if you start in 1st gear and shift manually? Reverse work okay? Let us know.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 PM

it sounds like conan knows what he is talking about. I agree, it is someting big with the trans. If those cars are know for the defective transaxle, then that is probably what it is. you can try the trans fluid change. otherwise you should just bring the thing in and get it fixxed