Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

What cold air intake should I run on my 03 GM

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Default What cold air intake should I run on my 03 GM

i have a 2003 mercury grand marquis it has low miles but im not looking to make bulk power just looking to make it into a nice cruser im thinking about a cold air intake as well as a exaust kit im trying to find something relatively inexpensive any recomendations

Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Default It's a Myth !!

Can't Touch This --
Hello, and Welcome to the Mercury Forums !!
You didn't state which model of Marquis you have, but we don't need to know the model in order to answer your question.
You say you're not looking for "bulk power", so I'll assume that you are NOT going to run the car at the drag strip. GOOD !!
There's NO SENSE in trying to get BIG power to a 2-ton car -- it can get VERY expensive, and the effort rarely gives satisfactory results.
I see that you're a young man, with limited automotive experience -- Well, I'm an OLD man, with many decades of experience with MANY types of vehicles,
including front-wheel-drive, rear-wheel-drive, 4-wheel-drive -- front engine, rear engine -- 2,3,&4-speed automatics, 3,4,5,8, & 13-speed standard transmissions, and both manual & electronic overdrives -- 3&4 on the tree, 3,4,&5 on the floor, plus push-button shifters on the dash and steering wheel.
Anyways -- about that C.old A.ir I.ntake --
You will hear all sorts of claims of more power, better mileage, better "sound", and better "performance".
There are videos on U-Tube, and crap on the internet -- telling you that you absolutely MUST have a C.A.I. .
And then there are the FACTS -- whether store-bought or home-made, there is VERY little benefit to be had from a C.A.I. on a street-driven vehicle.
The 200-300 dollar price tag on a store-bought CAI is WWAAAAYYYYYY too much money for the VERY small amount of benefit (which ONLY comes at Wide-Open-Throttle, anyway). Home-made CAIs are common, but no better than the $$$ ones.
Save money !! Don't get stupid !! FORGET the C.A.I. !!
The EASIEST path to an efficient intake:
1. MotorCraft Air Filter -- The MotorCraft (factory) air filter will flow all the air that your 4.6-Liter engine can possibly breathe.
Change it YEARLY !!
2. K&N Air Filter -- Costs more initially, but can last for many years -- requires periodic cleaning with special chemicals, and re-application of K&N Filter Oil
The K&N will flow more air than ANY paper filter, AND it's the ONLY air filter that works when it is WET.
I run a K&N Air Filter in the stock air box that had the "snorkle" removed -- short duct from air box toward hole in body behind the left-side headlight. Air is drawn from FORWARD of the Engine Bay.

Tip: Whenever the Air Filter is changed, spray the MAF Sensor generously with "CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner".
Spray the Throttle Body generously with "CRC Throttle Body Cleaner".
They're gonna flood your mind with all sorts of "high performance" gizmos and "amazing economy" stories -- and it's all mostly rotten baloney, designed specifically to target the inexperienced and/or uninformed.
I'm happy to be of help in any way I can --
95 MERC

Last edited by 95 MERC; 07-19-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: content